none
Hyper-v 2016 background merge failed after Veeam(or other) backup

Question

• Hello!

Have a big problem after migration from VMware to hyper-v hosts. After end of backup, avhdx files don't automatic merge to parent partition. Im in panic. Anyone have this problem? 3 hosts - same problems. Different guests... 2008, 2008r2, 2012r2. It helps to manualy merge Childs, or shutdown and start VM, but it is not a good idea in big production and 24/7 services. Help me please. Do anyone have any solutions, idea or something else?

Is it known issue in Microsoft? Epic fail. Really.

In event logs I see event 19100. Ok. I know, that is problems with permissions... but it is no difference between new VM, migrated, moved... all is fine with acl. nt virtual machines\<<id>> everywhere.

Please, help and thank you!

Friday, September 14, 2018 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since it is the third-party backup software,please contact your software vendor to get more information about root cause.

The best way is merge avhd by manual.

There is a link about Manually Merge .avhd to .vhd in Hyper-V,please refer to it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/3059372/you-can-t-delete-a-recovery-checkpoint-for-a-virtual-machine-in-data-p

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 14, 2018 8:32 AM
  • Thank you for reply!

But same issue we can see with native VM replication. AVHDX creation - hyper-v process. All 3-party software only push WMI-command to make it. 

Manualy merge is a good idea if u have 10-15vm. If you have 50+ vm with daily backup, every day merge = hell. ((

Friday, September 14, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

I didn't found any related information about it in Microsoft official documents. Also, I will continue to research and text in the future.
    If we have any updates about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated.  

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 20, 2018 2:56 AM