DVD/CD, External Hard Drives and Flash Drives unaccessible from Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have been holding off posting for a week trying to find a solution to my problems which I discovered when I inserted a CD to read the data and was invited by Autoplay to burn it.. and then I noticed the red circle with the red diagonal bar through the icon.

The DVD/CD RW is unaccessible as is an external hard drive when I connect it - it is ok on an XP machine.
    Not sure where to start  - but I tried the 'lowerfilters'/'upperfilters' regedit solution proffered by many - but the keys are not there.

I uninstalled the drivers to the DVD/CD to no avail.. I even took the Acer Aspire 5610 laptop apart and took out the DVD/CD drive rebooted, switched off, put it back ... but the problems are still there. This was after contacting Acer, who helpfully suggested that I restore to factory condition  - which would, by the way, erase all of the data on my disk!

Thinking it might be a USB problem and searched avidly through the masses of forum notes on that issue - but my USB mouse and GPS puck work ok...

Becoming desparate now to find a solution.

In Device Manager/System/PCI bus/Properties, I found a strange entry under PCI.. which had the dreaded red circle and and bar -the memory Range 40000000-FEBFFFFF. Does this mean anything?

System Information/Conflicts reveals:-

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7    PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7    Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070    Motherboard resources
    I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070    System CMOS/real time clock

IRQ 23    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
    IRQ 23    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC

Memory Address 0xD0100000-0xD01FFFFF    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D6
    Memory Address 0xD0100000-0xD01FFFFF    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection #2

IRQ 16    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D2
    IRQ 16    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
    IRQ 16    ENE CB-712/714/810 Cardbus Controller

IRQ 17    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D0
    IRQ 17    ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller
    IRQ 17    SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
    IRQ 17    ENE PCI SmartMedia / xD Card Reader Controller
    IRQ 17    ENE PCI Secure Digital / MMC Card Reader Controller

IRQ 18    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D4
    IRQ 18    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA

IRQ 19    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D6
    IRQ 19    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family

Rather a lot... is there any significance here?

I recall that in Device Manager, under the DVD/CD tab, there used to be two entries for the CD and DVD. In Fact I used to have two drives showing in Explorer, come to thnk of it, a Cd Drive and a DVD Drive. Under IDE/ATA Atapi, there used to be entries for IDE - now two ATA entries, Channel 0 and Channel 1 and the Inte ATA Controller.

I wonder if the problems have anything to do with the screen driver update that I recently installed for the Intel 945 chipset as prompted by Windows Update.... In Other Devices.. there is a Generic Monitor and disabling it doesn't seem to have any effect.. checking the System Information again, I see an Intel 945 Express Chipset IRQ of 4294967293.. can this be correct? The next is IRQ 4294967294 - the wireless network connection.. and that works ok.....

What seems odd is that in Norton Ghost, the external hard drive name and properties (space used etc show up), and in Explorer the drive names appears next to the red circle and bar through the icon. Could it be a Vista Security issue that is preventing me access the drives when I try to 'open' or 'explore' them?

So that's my pedicament - no access to External drives or to the DVD/CD RW.. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I restore my machine to functional without having to restore to original? What can Vista have done that it cannot undo?
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Allen,

I'd like to suggest you contact our Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for direct assistance, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please install the rollup for USB core components included in this KB.

941600    Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;941600

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Eric,

Thank you for posting a reply.

I downloaded the 'rollup' for USB core components and tried to install the 32 bit version for my computer but came up with the error..."This update does not apply to your system"

I am using Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000 on an X86-based PC - a 32 bit operating system with 1014 MB RAM.

Reading the notes of the rollup - it would seem not to apply to my computer's situation.. but I tried!

Any other thoughts?

Allan
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:15 AM
  • Hi again,

Just thought that I would try something to make sure that the DVD/CD drive was still functioning, even though it isn't recognised by Vista... so I reset BIOS to boot from DVD/CD first and then rebooted after inserting a Windows XP boot disk in the drive.
    The Boot from CD worked and I was sorely tempted to continue and install XP!... but that would mean wasting all of the money that I spent on the 'Ultimate' version of Vista!
    Still hoping for a solution!
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

Did you try to re-intall VIsta?

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:26 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Haven't tried to reinstall Vista yet... although I did reboot the machine with the Vista disk in the DVD/CD drive... but nothing happened (I had already altered the boot sequence to look at the DVD/CD drive first). To reinstall Vista I would lose all of the data on the machine and I will set about backng this up.

Yesterday I noticed that the red circle and red bar icon which was adjacent to DVD/CD in Explorer was missing and in its place was the icon for a missing graphic. Quite what happened to make this appear I don't know... could have been the restarting of the machine but I hadn't installed or deleted any files on the machine.. it is kind of 'of limits' at the moment doing nothing useful.. waiting and hoping for a solution!

Just as an update, I did install SP1 for Vista last night and there is no change in the status of the laptop.

I did notice that when I start Autoplay manually, the option of burning to the DVD/CD is not there as it was and only the option to 'open the folder to view the files' (sic) is displayed. When I exercise this option, Explorer opens with the message 'Drag files here to this folder to add them to the disc.' in the main window.

Allan

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Hi again,

Just as another update... checked back with the laptop after a couple of hours and the icon of the red circle and the red bar is now showing?
    Vista changes itself so often it is difficult to pin down just what is happening... like trying to nail jelly to a wall!
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:21 PM
  • I just noticed that the ATA drives in IDE/ATAPI in Device Manager have now been replaced by IDE.

This could be because SP1 was installed... however... the DVD/CD will sill not allow access.. even though when I left-click in Explorer the device drawer pops open.

Have tried again removing and reinstalling the drivers - no joy.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Well, I bit the bullet and did a reinstall. What a disaster!

I used the backup CD's that I burned when the machine was new and that went fairly well... took a long time but did quite well. I ended up with a DVD/CD and everything functioning.

The Vista version was Home Basic and I had Vista Ultimate... so i dug around and found the disk thatI used to upgrade which I received for attending a Vista Launch in Tampa.

Vista Ultimate would not perform an upgrade and required a full install... so I Iet it...

After the install, my keyboard driver is wrong and after activating, I can't perform a Windows Updat. I receive the error code 8024D004 which apparently is because I am using the upgrade disk that I received forgoing to the launch. - or so some posts on the Forum maintain.

So much none productive time... I am quite bereft - not for the first time with Vista.

Guess I will go back and reinstall from the backup disks again.

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Hi Allen,

How about the result after you reinstalilng from the backup disc?

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:07 AM
  • Soooo frustrating! I receive your email, hit the link and the forum opens up in my browser... hit reply and bang! Logged out of the forum! Oh yes.. I am not using IE as my browser!! so I load up IE and try again!!

Anyway, back to the case in point. After a wasted couple of days - no productive work done finally back on-line...

Installed from the back-ups and no running Vista Home Basic.... no Vista Ultimate and no Microsoft Office latest version.

At this point feel pretty dischuffed with Microsoft...

Allan

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Please open "Control Panel" and select "Device Manager" to check whether the DVD-RAM is included in the list.

If not, please right-click the "DVD-CD drivers" and select "Scan for hardware changes".

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Monday, March 31, 2008 9:05 AM
  • Eric,

Thanks for your help... and I am sorry thta I wasn't clear in my posts...  but by reinstalling from the disks that I burned when I got the machine.. the problem that Vista caused with the DVD/CD drive was cured... back to square one....

Now - do you know if I can get Microsoft to get me back to where I was in terms of Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate - the disks that I picked up at the Microsoft Launch no longer work..

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Hi Allen,

I'd like to suggest you contact our Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for direct assistance, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:44 AM