locked
App-V 4.6 Client error on Office 2007 launch: "Error: The operation completed successfully" RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    After many weeks of trying, searching and starting over, I was finally able to successfully sequence and publish Office 2007 (Excel, Word and PowerPoint). Well, almost successfully- I get the strangest error when launching any of the sequenced Office apps. On a clean XP machine with the 4.6 Client installed, when I launch any of the 3 sequenced Office apps and I get the error: "Error: The operation completed successfully"; I click OK and the app is fully functional.

    Here is why I think it is a Client issue and not a Sequencing issue: if the user has local admin rights to the pc, the error appears once and never again. If the user then has his local admin rights taken away (not even Power User rights), the error never appears again. If the user starts with no rights or even Power User rights, the error appears at each and every launch of each Office app. If the user then gets local admin rights, the error appears once, then never again (the user can then have their local admin rights taken away again and the error never comes back).


    The Office 2007 apps were each sequenced (v4.6 Sequencer) individually via a vanilla XP VM build that was reset to it's Fresh Install Snapshot after each sequence. I sequenced to the Q-drive, using the path Q:\Office\app .v7 and also sequenced via an MSP file as suggested in Best Practice. The Management Server (4.6) is running on a 2008 VM (could not even get the Server to install on a 2003 box) with the SQL DB residing on yet another VM. I have no problems Publishing the apps and for all intents and purposes everything looks to be working, except for this completely random error that just tells me everything is working. However, we want to roll this out to 1,000+ users and do not want/need 1,000+ users calling and reporting this error.

    Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I'm hoping someone knows of a quick fix, maybe a reg-edit or something. Oh, I also gave the user account I was testing Full Control to every SoftGrid and Microsoft Application Virtualization folder on the pc, logged off/on after each permission was granted but I am still getting the error at each launch. Local admin rights is the only fix to this and it is not plausible to give 1,000+ users even temporary local admin rights just for the first launch.


    Any and all assistance is appreciated, and please feel free to ask any questions about our set up for clarificatoin if needed. Thanks again
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

  • The application is writing to a protected location at first run (such as \Windows or HKLM). If you use Process Monitor to see which writes are failing for the standard user, you will hopefully be able virtualise those locations within the package.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:13 PM
    Moderator
  • I didn't see any failures, but Process Monitor captured over 100K worth of events- it's like finding a needle in a haystack at this point.

    Do you have any suggestions for anything to check during the sequence? If we can prevent this error from popping up the first time it would be even better. I have sequenced the apps individually using several different options but every time I either get the error I am getting or worse.

    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:41 PM
  • You'll need to filter on the application that is generating the "Error: The operation completed successfully" message (either the application itself or MSIEXEC - Process Explorer should show you the process name). Also filter on ACCESS DENIED results to see which actions are failing.

    Are you executing the application during the montoring phase when sequencing?

    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 4:02 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    I am launching the app during the monitoring phase (I actually launch it from the exe in Q:\Office\Office12 as soon as it installs and then again from the Launch Application portion after I click Stop Monitoring), clicking some items, adding some icons to the ribbon, typing- basic stuff.

    As for the process mon:

    I did not see any Access Denied or Fail in the results column. Being that the error is saying the operation is successfull, maybe it's not being recorded/viewed as a failure

    Also, I filtered by Winword.exe (12K+ lines) and went through them all but I did not see anything that would stand out as the error I am looking for.

    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Make Sure you do not have the office Metadata Removal utility installed in the client. Please refer to this thread:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/4d153c86-6806-46cf-a6c5-69fdb787e3a1

     


    Steve Thomas, SSEE, Microsoft
    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/SCCM/AppCompat
    http://madvirtualizer.wordpress.com/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:22 PM