none
MSXML6 issue in Excel 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Excel workbook originally created in EXCEL 2010 that references msxml6.dll. Now I have below two servers and both of them have Excel 2013 installed.

• Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit)
    • Windows Server 2013 R2

When I open the workbook on Windows Server 2008 R2, it shows the reference as C:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll. It compiles fine and doesn't complain about types like DOMDocument, etc.

However, when I open the same workbook on Windows Server 2013 R2 it shows the reference as C:Windows\SysWOW64\msxml.dll and throws compile errors. It complains about DOMDocument, which has to be replaced with MSXML2.DOMDocument60 and fails to complain statements like IXMLNode.SelectNodes, etc.

Now, on Windows Server 2013 R2, if I try to add the reference to C:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll, it just doesn't work. I browse to the folder, select the dll but it neither adds reference to it nor throws any error.

Similary, on Windows Server 2008 R2, if I try to add the reference to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml.dll, it also doesn't work either, even if I try to register the dll, etc. it still fails to work.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Sajad,

Thanks for visiting our forum.

Then here we mainly discusses general questions about Office client. As per your specific query about developing issues involving MSXML6, it is encouraged to post to the following dedicated MSDN forum for better response:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=xmlandnetfx

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:40 AM