none
December CU gives warning web application is configured with claims authentication mode however the content database you are trying to attach is intended to be used against a windows classic authentication mode.

Question

• Hi,

We are building our corporate intranet on a new SharePoint 2013 Enterprise edition environment. The environment has been updated up to August CU and I am implementing host-named site collections. Yesterday on updating the farm with December CU the following warning was encountered

The [web application name] web application is configured with claims authentication mode however the content database you are trying to attach is intended to be used against a windows classic authentication mode.

All articles point to this warning showing when upgrading from 2010 to 2013, however that is not the case here as this is a new 2013 farm. Also this warning did not come up when updating with August CU back in November. Not sure why this is coming up and what action to take further.

Thanks for your help in advance

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you had a issue when you installed the December CU.

This issue often occurs when the database has been modified, such as upgrade.

As you had a new SharePoint 2013 server, not migrate from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, the issue may be caused by the orphaned state.

You can edit the site collection admins for these site collections -> remove and re-add them from Central Admin, then check whether it works.

We can also update the web application to check whether it works.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee248631(v=vs.100).aspx

Thanks,
    Jason
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jason Guo
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:10 AM
  • You can try below:

1. Remove the content database and try to install the Update

2. Once you identify the corrupt database. Detach the database from the farm

3. Install the december update on the farm

4. Attach the effected database with upgrade command

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you had a issue when you installed the December CU.

This issue often occurs when the database has been modified, such as upgrade.

As you had a new SharePoint 2013 server, not migrate from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, the issue may be caused by the orphaned state.

You can edit the site collection admins for these site collections -> remove and re-add them from Central Admin, then check whether it works.

We can also update the web application to check whether it works.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee248631(v=vs.100).aspx

Thanks,
    Jason
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jason Guo
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:10 AM
  • You can try below:

1. Remove the content database and try to install the Update

2. Once you identify the corrupt database. Detach the database from the farm

3. Install the december update on the farm

4. Attach the effected database with upgrade command

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Definetely worth a shot to try these steps. Will try and get back.

Thanks

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Thank you. The steps with editing the Site Collection Administrators solved my problem too, which occured after the installation of the SP1 (KB2880552). We have in fact migrated our environment from 2010 to 2013. However, I've already made the steps chaging the authentication methode during the migration. So I was wondering receiving this error after the Service Pack installation.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:11 AM