none
Outlook Rules & AD RMS RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts,

I am planning to integrate ADRMS and Exchange Server 2010 in my organization.

The main goal for this implementation is to disable mail forwarding between employees.

My doubt is that will AD RMS block the email forwarding if one of the user has created forwarding rules on his outlook using rules wizard.

Your quickest response will be appreciable.

Thanks,

Santhosh

Santhosh Sivaraman MCITP: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA

Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

I make a test, Outlook rule can forward the message, could you please confirm it? 

@Santhosh, even the 3rd people receive the outlook rule forwarded RMS message, he still cannot read the content.

Frank Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, January 18, 2013 3:20 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:42 AM

All replies

• You're asking if the Outlook rule that forwards a message can override RMS 'do not forward' restrictions?  No, it cannot.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I make a test, Outlook rule can forward the message, could you please confirm it? 

@Santhosh, even the 3rd people receive the outlook rule forwarded RMS message, he still cannot read the content.

Frank Wang

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, January 18, 2013 3:20 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Frank, I don't have a working RMS lab at the moment.  You're saying your test email account received a message with the do not forward template applied, and you were able to forward it anyway by using an outlook rule?  Was this the the rule action?  Simply forward?  forward as attachment?  something else?

Mike Crowley | MVP

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Just a simple Outlook rule in UserB's mailbox:

From userA

Forward it to UserC

1,UserA send a no permission mail to UserB, UserC can receive the mail.

2,UserA send a "Do not forward" mail to UserB, UserB receive the mail and the Forward buttom is disabled in the mail. However, UserC will also receive the mail but he cannot see the content.

Frank Wang

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Interesting, I wonder if there is a way to further restrict the UI.  But this seems like an edge case, and as long as the content is safe, it all seems like  non-issue.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:01 AM