none
Best way to set up an equipment resource so as not to be included in the Work calculation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm a first time poster on this forum.

I am trying to do some space capacity analysis on a project and thought to assign the necessary work stations as work resources in Project.  However, when I do that the Work field calculation changes.  I am using the calculated Work field to estimate the people cost of the project, so don't want the workstation time to be included in that calc.

This seems like it would be a common scenario for any type of capital equipment tool or facility, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to identify the resource as a tool, etc and therefore have it excluded from the work calc.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas about how to do this.

Thanks,
    Russ 

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Russ,

Have you considered setting the work stations as material resources?  You can then get a count about how many workstations you have in use.  What you cannot do with work resource is look for overallocations -- so if you only have 3 work stations and assigned 4 to tasks, you would not see the overallocation.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

I have seen this handled in 2 ways:

- Either use the Resource Group field, and always group resource views by group, in such a way that you can identify work for both human and other resources separately;

- Use Cost fields to calculate cost :-) If you don't for the moment, set unit cost for the humans to 1/h, and for the others to 0/hr.

Cost then equals humen work hours.

Greetings,

Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Russ,

Have you considered setting the work stations as material resources?  You can then get a count about how many workstations you have in use.  What you cannot do with work resource is look for overallocations -- so if you only have 3 work stations and assigned 4 to tasks, you would not see the overallocation.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

I have seen this handled in 2 ways:

- Either use the Resource Group field, and always group resource views by group, in such a way that you can identify work for both human and other resources separately;

- Use Cost fields to calculate cost :-) If you don't for the moment, set unit cost for the humans to 1/h, and for the others to 0/hr.

Cost then equals humen work hours.

Greetings,

Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Thanks to both Julie and Jan.  I'll give each suggestion a try and see which feels more suited to the types of analysis I want to do.

Regards,

Russ

Monday, December 12, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Thanks Russ.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie

Monday, December 12, 2011 5:55 PM