none
Microsoft Windows section is not showing up in Installed Updates

Question

• Hey all,

I am trying to uninstall IE10.  When I go to control panel, program and features, installed updates, the Microsoft Windows section does not show up.  The only sections I can see are Adobe Reader XI, Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (10), Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (7), and Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (36).  I have no idea why it isn't showing the Microsoft Windows section, but any help would be great appreciated.

Thanks,

Cgxbaffle

PS - I am an admin on the system.  I also took it off the domain and logged in as a local admin.  Same results.
    • Edited by Cgxbaffle Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:51 PM

All replies

• Are you able to scroll down the list at all?

You should be able to scroll down the list to find the Microsoft Windows section and Internet Explorer 10 should be in that section of the Installed Updates.  It is a long list.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Please refer to this KB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712

Also, try removing it from the add/remove windows features menu.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Those are the only sections listed.  If I collapse those 4 sections that is all that shows.  There is not a Microsoft windows section to scroll too.  It is only listing 57 updates total from those 4 sections.  I can see the Microsoft Windows section on another system, so I know what you are talking about, it just isn't appearing on this system.  I am hoping there is some option that needs to be checked or something that can fix this and that I won't have to reinstall windows just to get rid of IE 10.

Thanks again for any help.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:47 PM
  • The article just seemed to be about installed updates, not about my particular problem.  Thanks though for trying.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

This is weird. Try uninstalling and reinstalling IE 10 in Turn Windows features on or off.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/turn-windows-features-on-or-off

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Or try a system restore.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:33 PM
  • I can't over install ie10 because it says there is a newer version already installed.  System restore doesn't go back far enough unfortunately. 
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

You got this message because IE 10 was installed on your computer. That is why I suggest you uninstall it first by turning off windows features. Are you able to uninstall it? Please follow the steps below to uninstall IE 10 feature.
    1.Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. Clear the check box before Internet Explorer 10.
    3. Restart the computer.

Tracy Cai

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

How's everything going?

Tracy Cai

Monday, April 1, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Hey Tracy,

Getting ready to try that now, I want to say I unchecked the box and restarted, but nothing changed.  I will try it again though and let you know.

Monday, April 1, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Still no luck with that.  It is just odd that it doesn't show the "Microsoft Windows" section in the installed updates.
    Monday, April 1, 2013 7:48 PM
  • What Windows version are you using
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:04 AM
  • Try Run the Microsoft Fixit tool to reset Windows Update Component.

Please refer to this KB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:14 AM
  • Well, I did try it and neither deselecting ie10 worked, nor did the fixit tool work.  It still isn't showing the Microsoft Windows section in installed updates.
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:55 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700?wa=wsignin1.0

Try if this command would be able to remove it, open cmd and elevate it as admin :

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-10*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for the try Brano! Your command returns "Files of type Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-10.mum are not found."
    • Edited by IronOreDog Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:23 PM
  • I know that this is an old thread, but I was just wondering if this was ever resolved.  I am running into this same issue now, only a select few updates are showing up under "Installed Updates."  Noticeably missing is the "Windows" section. I'm running Win7 Pro x64 w/SP1. I had IE10 installed, and when I ran into a problem with a specific internal website, I tried to downgrade to IE9 by unselecting the "Add Features" option for IE10, at which point Internet Explorer was no longer installed (unable to locate any version of iexplore.exe on the pc). So naturally, I tried to install IE9, but I got stopped saying that it was already installed.

Monday, April 6, 2015 9:45 PM
  • I am also having this problem. In a post elsewhere, the suggestion was made to change the value of this registry entry to '2', but I'm a bit reluctant to mess with the registry (it's currently set to 1 on my laptop):

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\OLE\LegacyAuthenticationLevel  

My wife's computer doesn't have this key but Microsoft's documentation says that the default value for this is 2, and her computer shows the Windows updates.

Both machines are running Win7 Pro x64 w/SP1

Monday, May 23, 2016 12:52 PM