Device & Printers Not Responding / Won't Show Up RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I am currently working on Virtual Desktop (VMware VDI) Windows 7 64-bit OS, when I click on Devices and Printers in Control Panel, it takes forever to load & after waiting for quiet sometime nothing shows up. 

Running through many posts, i tried everything but in vain and still doesn't work.

I don't have Bluetooth service on my desktop.

i only have Bluetooth support services on which i tried everything, starting, stopping, disabling etc but still doesn't work.

Would appreciate if someone could throw some light into this?

Many thanks in advance.

SV

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:16 AM

Answers

• Hi SureshVarghese,

Have you checked the Device Manager for any devices with yellow warnings ?

Is the machine up to date ?Please ensure the machine has got all the latest updates.

Please also try the following suggestions to have a check:
    1.Ensure the "Print Spooler Service" and  "Bluetooth Support Service "are running.
    2.Please also check the following hotfix .
    The Devices and Printers window stops responding (hangs) after you disable the Bluetooth Support service in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2486635
    3.Run "sfc /scannow" to check the health of the system .
    4.Run the following command to register the dlls files to have a check.
    regsvr32  "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
    Here is a link for reference :
    Fix Devices and Printers Folder Is Completely Blank in Windows 7
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-devices-and-printers-completely-empty-windows-7/

"My base machine is also Windows 7 64-bit on which i am able to see the devices and printers but not on my VDI Windows 7."
    Considering you are using a VMWare and the base machine worked well ,it is also recommended to ask for help from the VMWare software forum .
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 7:24 AM

All replies

• everything normal before?

do you have another VDI machine? office environment maybe?

this only happen to client PC?

I suggest you download the latest version of your VMWare to check

Please check also the document from VMWare site to find the workaround

example:

most of common issue regarding printer in VMWare Horizon will solved with the latest version

https://www.vmware.com/support/viewclients/doc/horizon-client-windows-release-notes.html

• Edited by britishdhez Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:12 AM
  • basically its been like this from the initial period itself.

The VDI i mentioned in my mail is office environment and i also did a random check on couple of other office VDI and they all have the same issues.

My base machine is also Windows 7 64-bit on which i am able to see the devices and printers but not on my VDI Windows 7.

regards

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:21 AM
  • if non VDI machine can see the devices, we already isolate physical connection issue

I suggest you contact VMWare as well to find the route caused

Please let us know the update

• Edited by britishdhez Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:40 AM
  • Hi SureshVarghese,

Have you checked the Device Manager for any devices with yellow warnings ?

Is the machine up to date ?Please ensure the machine has got all the latest updates.

Please also try the following suggestions to have a check:
    1.Ensure the "Print Spooler Service" and  "Bluetooth Support Service "are running.
    2.Please also check the following hotfix .
    The Devices and Printers window stops responding (hangs) after you disable the Bluetooth Support service in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2486635
    3.Run "sfc /scannow" to check the health of the system .
    4.Run the following command to register the dlls files to have a check.
    regsvr32  "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
    Here is a link for reference :
    Fix Devices and Printers Folder Is Completely Blank in Windows 7
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-devices-and-printers-completely-empty-windows-7/

"My base machine is also Windows 7 64-bit on which i am able to see the devices and printers but not on my VDI Windows 7."
    Considering you are using a VMWare and the base machine worked well ,it is also recommended to ask for help from the VMWare software forum .
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 7:24 AM