none
OneNote incorrect backup location shown in Options? RRS feed

• Question

• Office365 OneNote v 1812  (16.0.11126.20234) 32-bit

In Options, it shows my Backup folder is at /AppData/Local/Microsoft/OneNote

However, there is not even a OneNote folder there!
    I found that it seems to be saving instead at:

\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.Desktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\16.0\Backup

What is the relationship between these 2 locations? Which is correct? How did it end up like this ... just installed this on new PC ~10 days ago.

Friday, February 1, 2019 2:48 AM

Answers

• I figured it out what happened. Feeling a bit stupid. I reopened my notebooks in the "app" first to ensure they were okay - as they were in the app on old PC. I did need to restore a couple of pages or move "unfiled" notes into their proper place. After verifying they were okay, I "immediately" then backed them up manually to a different location first and then uninstalled the app! I then installed the desktop version and reopened them.

The stated backup folder was correct; the reason I wasn't seeing any content there was because I hadn't actually modified any pages yet - in the desktop version - when I checked.

Friday, February 15, 2019 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi OttIT,

May I know if you are using a pre-installed edition of Office 365 on the new PC? If this is the case, please try uninstalling it and try reinstalling Office from Office 365 portal instead and check the result. 

Generally, on Windows 10, backups of your notebook files are stored in the following default locations(The first path mentioned in your post):

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\version\Backup

Reference: Back up notes 

For your situation, a possible cause is that you are using a pre-installed store version of Office 365, in which case a few paths may be changed. 

Hope the above can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 4, 2019 4:52 AM
  • No this was not the Store app OneNote ("light" as I call it.)

It is OneNote 2016 desktop version.

I understand that the 2 versions can use different locations. The problem is that the "options" page is reporting a location that it's not actually using.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:41 PM
  • No this was not the Store app OneNote ("light" as I call it.)

It is OneNote 2016 desktop version.

I understand that the 2 versions can use different locations. The problem is that the "options" page is reporting a location that it's not actually using.

Hi OttIT,

I tried to do much research but found little information about the issue. May I know if the new PC was pre-installed with any Office applications? As based on my research, it seems that the second location mentioned in your post is related to the pre-installed application. 

Besides, please try go to File > Save & Backup, click on Backup All Notebooks Now and check if the backups can be saved to the default location.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:28 AM
  • I figured it out what happened. Feeling a bit stupid. I reopened my notebooks in the "app" first to ensure they were okay - as they were in the app on old PC. I did need to restore a couple of pages or move "unfiled" notes into their proper place. After verifying they were okay, I "immediately" then backed them up manually to a different location first and then uninstalled the app! I then installed the desktop version and reopened them.

The stated backup folder was correct; the reason I wasn't seeing any content there was because I hadn't actually modified any pages yet - in the desktop version - when I checked.

Friday, February 15, 2019 2:10 AM
  • So glad to see that you have figured it out and thanks so much for sharing the findings with us! By the way, do you mind marking your post above as answer to close this thread so that if other forum members encounter a similar situation, they can benefit from your experience? Thanks again for your understanding.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Friday, February 15, 2019 2:19 AM