Performance Counters are missing RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I observed, that I cannot add any additional Performance Counter in Performance Monitor. It does not show any of the Standard Performance Counters. It only Shows three categories:

- BrancheCache

- TBS-Counter

- WSMan contingent statistics

I have already tried any available proposal for Solutions described in TechNet, i.e. manually rebuilding the perormance Counters, resetting to original Status etc. All without success. I have no Access to any of the standard performance Counters. I know, that Performance Monitoring is running. I have an existing .Perfmoncfg file with a number of Performance Counters selected (all logical disks, CPU (total), and network Interface), and the Performance Monitor Shows the results. However, I cannot add anny new Performance Counter. If I click the "add" button, only the categories mentioned above are shown.

Is there a solution of this Problem other than fresh Windows Installation?

JoachimAdd Performance Counters Window

Monday, January 20, 2014 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Performance Monitor object and counter names are stored in the "Counters" in this Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\<LangID> (LangID 009 = U.S. English)

If the list of objects and counters available to chart in Performance Monitor is incomplete or blank, it may be because Perflib subkeys other than the 009 subkey exist. Performance Monitor only uses the contents of one <LangID> subkey. Additional subkeys under the Perflib subkey are created when the Language setting in Control Panel is modified.

To restore the default list of counters and objects in Performance Monitor, follow this tutorial:

Missing Objects and Counters in Performance Monitor

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/127207

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:54 AM
  • Karen,

the proceure described in the document kb127207 refers to Windows NT not to Windows 7. Nevertheless, I have tried to delete subkey 009 (as my System is based on German (subkey 007). But deleting the key is not permitted. So the Problem still exists. As I stated in my description, I had already restored to fresh Installation values and re-registered all additional applications, all with no success.

Joachim

Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:10 PM
  • I have now made a fresh Windows 7 Installation. When Windows was fully set-up, I first have run all available Windows updates (more than 200). When this has finished, I started to install my applications. To make sure, that my Performance Counters are visible, I opened the Performance Monitor and clicked the "+" button to open the window "Add Perfomance Counters". All my usual Performance Counters were available and coud be added or deleted as usual.

During the Installation process of my applications the Counters were available until one application (Avid Media Composer) installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable SP1(x86), and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable SP1(x64). At this time the "Add Performance Couters" Windows got cleared. When I closed the window and re-open it, the usual Counter have disappeared,and were replaced with those ones described in my initial contribution. The Point is, that the Initial Performance Counters still work (tested with a predefined and stored set of counters), however I cannot add any of the original Performance Counters when I start perfmon.exe.

So my summery is: Either MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable SP1 has a bug and corrupts the list of assignable Performance Counters in the "Add Performance Counters" window, or it deliberately changes the available entries. As the changed entries are not completely nonsense  (which would happen if the list was corrupted), I assume there is a key/switch which is set to a different set of Performance Counters. Can anybode confirm, and tell me how to switch them back to the original ones?

Does someone know the file name from which the "Add Perfomance Counters" window reads the available Counters?

Joachim

• Edited by Joachim Claus Monday, January 27, 2014 1:23 PM editorials
    Monday, January 27, 2014 1:15 PM