none
Protecting Computer Across Multiple Disks RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2010 Version 3.0.7696.0, I have two raid arrays attached to my DPM Server. One of these disks is down to 0% unallocated however the other is at 23%. I have 2 protected computers that are failing jobs with "Recovery Point Volume threshold exceeded", I am also seeing the following error in the application log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSDPM
    Date:          3/9/2011 12:51:58 PM
    Event ID:      33144
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DPM1.contoso.com
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 33144 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

DPM was unable to expand the volume for D:\.

Problem Details:
    <AutoHealEvent><__System><ID>1061</ID><Seq>489</Seq><TimeCreated>3/9/2011 8:51:58 PM</TimeCreated><Source>AutoHeal.cs</Source><Line>248</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System></AutoHealEvent>
    the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

I tried to manually allocate more disk space for shadow copy, but it fails on both tasks. I removed the D drive from the protection, then modified the protection group and re-added it, then tried to manually increase the space again but it failed. Both computers protection is currently stored on the volume without any avalible space.

I have two questions:
    1) Can DPM not protect a computer across two disks?
    2) How can I solve this issue so that I can protect the drive on the machine?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, DPM should be able to extend a volume across two disks in the storage pool. What is the total capacity of the disk that has 23% free space ?

If you want to do this manually, you can use diskpart.exe

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877(WS.10).aspx

Basically start diskpart.exe from administrative command prompt then type:
    List volume  (locate the volume number associated with the diffarea that needs extended)
    Select volume #   (Select that diffarea volume)
    Extent size=1000  disk=2    (Extends the volume by 1gb on disk2)

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:47 PM