Ram issue with ASUS G70s on Vista x86 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I have an ASUS G70s Laptop working with windows vista ultimate 32bit version and it only recognizes 2Gb of ram in the performance tab of task manager. I actually tested it with some hardware testing software (for example system requirement labs) and it allways says I'm only using 2Gb of ram, despite all 4Gb show up on control panel. I contacted ASUS and they say the rest of the ram is beeing used by the graphics cards as shared system memory but I was expecting it to work with 3 or 3.5Gb of ram, as all other computers with 4Gb installed on vista x86 do. My cousin for example as an Asus G50 and it recognizes 3.5Gb of ram. Is it possible that my laptop has hardware issues or is it only software fault.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding this issue, may I ask some questions:

1. Do you mean the total physical memory in the performance tab of task manager is just 2GB? How much memory is showed in System Properties ( Press WIN + Break )?

2. Do you use both the same brand of 2-GB DIMMs or two different brands of 2-GB DIMMs? What is the brand?

3. How much memory do graphic card share system memory? You may check it by right clicking Personalization==> clicking Display settings==>clicking Advanced Settings.

Based on my research, to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. Boot in BIOS to check if the computer detects all RAM.

If only one DIMMs is detected, it might be related to hardware defect such as bad slot or bad DIMMs. If it is the case, you may contact hardware manufacturer for support.

Otherwise, if BIOS detects all DIMMs, please continue the step.

2. Check the Maximum memory in BOOT Advanced Options.

1) Type msconfig in Run box ( Press WIN + R ), and press Enter.

2) Click Advanced Options in System Configuration.

3) Uncheck Maximum memory box.

4) Restart the computer.

3. Contact computer manufacturer to replace for a new RAM and see if it works.

For references:

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

4 GB RAM in 32-bit Windows XP and Vista

http://members.cox.net/slatteryt/RAM.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet

Hope this helps. Thanks
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding this issue, may I ask some questions:

1. Do you mean the total physical memory in the performance tab of task manager is just 2GB? How much memory is showed in System Properties ( Press WIN + Break )?

2. Do you use both the same brand of 2-GB DIMMs or two different brands of 2-GB DIMMs? What is the brand?

3. How much memory do graphic card share system memory? You may check it by right clicking Personalization==> clicking Display settings==>clicking Advanced Settings.

Based on my research, to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. Boot in BIOS to check if the computer detects all RAM.

If only one DIMMs is detected, it might be related to hardware defect such as bad slot or bad DIMMs. If it is the case, you may contact hardware manufacturer for support.

Otherwise, if BIOS detects all DIMMs, please continue the step.

2. Check the Maximum memory in BOOT Advanced Options.

1) Type msconfig in Run box ( Press WIN + R ), and press Enter.

2) Click Advanced Options in System Configuration.

3) Uncheck Maximum memory box.

4) Restart the computer.

3. Contact computer manufacturer to replace for a new RAM and see if it works.

For references:

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

4 GB RAM in 32-bit Windows XP and Vista

http://members.cox.net/slatteryt/RAM.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet

Hope this helps. Thanks
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Hello Dale Qiao, thanks for replying to my post.

Answering your questions:

1. System properties shows 4Gb of RAM, but total physical memory in the performance tab of task manager is just 2GB. Plus I've checked my hardware with software like "sys sandra", "sistemrequirementlabs", "futuremark" etc, and had RAM monitors running and everything shows that I'm only using 2Gb of RAM. In fact when the RAM monitor reaches close to 2Gb used my laptop drasticly looses performance.

2. Both the same brand of 2-GB DIMMs, original hardware.

3. Now here is an interesting topic, I've been desagreeing with ASUS about this one. My graphics card show 767Mb of shared system memory wich mutiplied by 2 (I have 2 graphics cards running on SLI) is 1534Mb. Asus technicians say that those 1534Mb are the rest of the ram that isn't showing because it's beeing used by the graphics cards, 1.5Gb + 2Gb = 3.5Gb that I should have. I found that explanation dubious so I runned a few tests myself, and removed one of the ram modules and reformated my pc, at the end everything was the same, still recognizing only the 2Gb of RAM and showing 767Mb of shared system memory for the graphics cards. If Asus explanation was true, adding the shred system memory of both graphics cards to the 2Gb of showed system memory would give 3.5Gb again and now I only had 1 module of RAM inserted in the laptop. I runned other test, disabled one of the graphics cards, the result was the same, still 2Gb of total system memory. As a final test i've instaled windows 7 ultimate x64. Running on a 64bit based system I get all 4Gb in performance tab at task manager (as expected), and 1791Mb of shared system memory for the graphics cards. This just proves that shared system memory is exactly that "SHARED" and not exclusive.

Now in answer to your sugestions:

1. Already did, it does recognize both 2Gb modules, I even tested the hardware and tried both RAM modules individualy. All ok.

2. Already did aswell, max memory box is unchecked, all the same.

3. Already did. Since February my laptop whent for repairing 3 times at ASUS and allways came back with problems, the same ones it had when it got there and some new ones. I even had to send videos of my screen to get them to fix it because they said "if ASUS technicians do not detect a problem is because there is no problem" afterall there was... Well, I even got an ASUS technician saying "You are creating things in your own mind" and after that they found the problem I was complaining about. Now, after the 3th time repairing, it came back on a destroyed box, my original box by the way, touchpad detached, they took my dummy cards from the pci and mem card slots, so now I have two holes in the laptop, and I see the back leds through the lcd, great isn't it? This RAM issue is just one of the many problems I'm having with my laptop and that ASUS ignores. A piece of advice for those who read this topic : Do not get ASUS hardware, expecialy DO NOT GET THE G70s Laptop.

Thanks again for all your attention and help.

Best regards

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Based on my further research, I found an article written by Mark that explains this issue fantasticly. It says that this issue may be related to the memory gap in the memory address. For more detail explanation, you may visit the following website.

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Physical Memory

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx  

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:26 AM