rdp 20 minute disconnect RRS feed

• Question

• when did you find that this issue began to occur? i have been experiencing this issue for about 90 days. wireless networks is not the issue - i have tried 4 different networks and they all suffer from the same problem. i find that the rdp disconnects in almost exactly 20 minutes on the remote machine, not the host. i have proven this by connecting to multiple machines and all exhibit the same issue. this appears more like a security issue or an undocumented enhancement that we have received in a Windows update. i am using a Vista Ultimate as my remote and Windows XP Pro machines as my hosts. i have tried using GoToMyPC and UltraVNC and neither of these have a problem with disconnects, hence my feeling that this is a Microsoft issue from a recent security update
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:29 AM

Answers

• Assuming you are connecting from a client on the internet, through IAG, to a backend server, the failure can be occuring anywhere in the chain, and it can be tricky to narrow it down. Any network interruption causes the connection to terminate, so the way to troubleshoot this is to try to eliminate as many variables as possible. For example, if your server is running on a virtual machine, you can try to run another VM on the same host, and use it as a test client. If it's a physical appliance, you can connect another computer using a cross-over cable directly to the appliance and then see if there are still disconnects. The fact that the timing is so precise suggests that there might be a networking component along the way that severs the session - could be some load balancer or firewall that is not configured correctly to accomodate the long sessions that you need in this scenario.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Amigo. Are you experiencing this with IAG or UAG? If it applies to IAG, what version? Have you checked the inactivity period in both the RDP host and the session settings in the trunk?

Regards
    // Raúl - I love this game
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Assuming you are connecting from a client on the internet, through IAG, to a backend server, the failure can be occuring anywhere in the chain, and it can be tricky to narrow it down. Any network interruption causes the connection to terminate, so the way to troubleshoot this is to try to eliminate as many variables as possible. For example, if your server is running on a virtual machine, you can try to run another VM on the same host, and use it as a test client. If it's a physical appliance, you can connect another computer using a cross-over cable directly to the appliance and then see if there are still disconnects. The fact that the timing is so precise suggests that there might be a networking component along the way that severs the session - could be some load balancer or firewall that is not configured correctly to accomodate the long sessions that you need in this scenario.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Hi,

UAG has inactivity timeout of 20 minutes. If there is no activity, the session disconnects after 20 minutes. This timeout is configurable.

Thanks,
              Meir :->
    Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:17 AM