data storage for WSUS on external backup drive RRS feed

• Question

• I had originally set up an external WD 1TB hard drive onto our NAS box and then set the WSUS server to use that drive as the storage. Today, that external drive bit the dust and I've replaced the drive with a new unit. 

What do I need to do to enable this new drive and to download all of the files back on to this drive? How can I tell if those files are there because I've noticed that even though I told it to go to \\NAS01\ExtDrv\WSUSFolder, I didn't see any files in that drive. I'm assuming that they were hidden?
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If the old storage is almost full, I would first run server cleanup wizard. 

To move content to another location, please try command below:

You can move the content to another drive/location using the wsusutil.exe, find this utility inC:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\

Command:
    wsusutil.exe movecontent %content path% %logfile%

%content path% : The new root for content files. The path must exist.
    %logfile% : Path and filename of the log file to create.

You need to create the directory on the new partition first and then use the utility with the following example:
    "wsusutil.exe movecontent U:\WSUS\ U:\wsusmove.log"

And here is a similar thread for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffa6802f-64b2-49c2-adc0-b42dbaa06b81/move-wsus-content-database-to-a-new-drive?forum=winserverwsus

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Yan Li_ Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:56 AM
  • I had originally set up an external WD 1TB hard drive onto our NAS box and then set the WSUS server to use that drive as the storage. Today, that external drive bit the dust and I've replaced the drive with a new unit. 

What do I need to do to enable this new drive and to download all of the files back on to this drive? How can I tell if those files are there because I've noticed that even though I told it to go to \\NAS01\ExtDrv\WSUSFolder, I didn't see any files in that drive. I'm assuming that they were hidden?
    If you're saying the old HDD died, and you're starting fresh, use wsustil reset to force WSUS to re-visit and re-verify the file structure and re-download what you are missing (which would be everything)

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:18 AM
  • My next question would be why set it up to go to a NAS device? It's MUCH better if it's local, and if it's about space, use my cleanup / maintenance script and it will keep your WSUS server's content folder down to the bare minimum. Mine is ~120GB right now, and people using my script have been able to reduce their footprint to as low as 23GB.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need!

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Thanks for all the great information, I will be going through this over the next few days.

You ask why we don't run it locally, it's because all of our servers are virtualized and we don't have the space to use for this type of storage but our QNAP NAS box (which we use for our local backups) also has a USB port and I have a 1TB external drive hooked up to that. Perfect since we've retired our 1TB drives from our old backup process.

One of the admin staff accidentally knocked the drive off the shelf and did the bounce test on it. Needless to say, it didn't come back to life. I have a different 1TB drive on it now and that is why I'm having to go through this process.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:40 AM