Workflow to monitor "AssignedTo" user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am looking for something to do the following.

When the "assignedto" is changed to a specific user, I want to apply a template/or force the support group to change to a required value.

For example, if assigned to user is changed to Joe Soap, a workflow must change the support group to "Group A".

My support staff always changed the assigned to user and forget to change the Support Group.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:51 AM

Answers

• Workflow triggers for relationships are limited to "added" and "removed". So, you'll need to write a custom workflow (powershell script, windows workflow foundation, orchestrator..whatever flavor you prefer). The custom workflow will be triggered when an assigned-to user is "added". The workflow then checks the new assigned-to user to see if it's the specific person you're interested in. If so, the workflow will change the support group on the work item.

You can even parametarize the specific person and support group in the workflow's write-action so it's easier to change in the future.

You'll need to define the workflow rule/trigger/writeaction in an MP. You'll also need to write the custom workflow that the writeaction executes.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/03/12/custom-notification-workflow-on-activity-assignment-or-reassignment.aspx This gives an example of how to trigger a workflow when a relationship is added.

You can probably even use the authoring tool to create the custom workflow if you decide to write it with powershell.

Does that all make sense? :)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:56 PM