Vista 64-Bit sandbox program? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have been looking for a windows vista 64-bit sandbox environment program. Does one exist that is 64-bit compatible? I've searched for a few hours and didn't have any luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, David
    D. White
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:55 AM

Answers

• Well, I think I've found something similiar to a sandbox prog. http://www.diskwritecopy.com/eng/ Eric, that is exactly why I was looking for one too. It's not really the IE browser that I want it for but for any sketchy windows based progs. Thanks for the replies guys.
    • Marked as answer by david.white Monday, December 21, 2009 6:37 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hey david dot white, Vista's 64-bit version has something called PatchGuard. In Vista x64, the core of the operating system has been extended so that it self-checks to detect any tampering to the kernel (the OS's core.)

This conflicts with the way common sandbox environment programs work, as they must make changes to the kernel.

You may know this already but Vista x64 is rather safe as is, ironically in part because of PatchGuard; also, Internet Explorer can be run sandboxed. If security while browsing is all that worries you, using Internet Explorer is an option. Google's browser, Chrome, also uses sandboxing to increase security; not to mention that it has the best interface I've seen in a browser, being so minimal.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:51 AM
  • This restricts the kernel from being altered, but that doesn't restrict other data from being modified/created. This is the main reason for a sandbox IMO. I can run sketchy programs to test it out and most of all, I don't have to worry about uninstalling, and assuming that the uninstaller took with it all the files and registry changes that it made to begin with. This is why it is great to have a sandbox. 

In the meantime, I guess a virtual machine is the only way to go.

-Eric
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Well, I think I've found something similiar to a sandbox prog. http://www.diskwritecopy.com/eng/ Eric, that is exactly why I was looking for one too. It's not really the IE browser that I want it for but for any sketchy windows based progs. Thanks for the replies guys.
    • Marked as answer by david.white Monday, December 21, 2009 6:37 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:09 PM