WSS version changed suddenly RRS feed

• Question

• i have a wss machine (virtual PC) with version 12.0.0.6565.. Then after some time this version changed to 12.0.0.6608. How did it happen? and why? My suspect is that my last action was to make a duplicate copy of this machine does this have an effect
    cal_bonjovi
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:32 AM

Answers

• The only way those versions would advance is if WSS was updated via a patch, hotfix, cumulative update, or service pack. Did you manually apply any SharePoint updates to your server?

Or, if this is a single server environment with automatic updates enabled in Windows Update, there's a good chance that Windows Update automatically applied the latest SharePoint update to your server once it was available to download via the tool. Given that build number, that's a pretty recent update that was released by SharePoint, its a higher build number than I'm seeing listed as current in most blogs.

You may want to check your Windows Update history to see if a SharePoint package is named or included in what it applied to your server.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by cal_bonjovi Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:36 AM

All replies

• The only way those versions would advance is if WSS was updated via a patch, hotfix, cumulative update, or service pack. Did you manually apply any SharePoint updates to your server?

Or, if this is a single server environment with automatic updates enabled in Windows Update, there's a good chance that Windows Update automatically applied the latest SharePoint update to your server once it was available to download via the tool. Given that build number, that's a pretty recent update that was released by SharePoint, its a higher build number than I'm seeing listed as current in most blogs.

You may want to check your Windows Update history to see if a SharePoint package is named or included in what it applied to your server.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by cal_bonjovi Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:36 AM
  • As i review the update history.. Yes indeed it updates my WSS. Can it be retrack or remove. Please advise or please do send a link . Thanks
    cal_bonjovi
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:55 AM
  • This is a security fix which got installed through Windows Update. You cannot uninstall SharePoint fixes.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:52 AM