none
Windows 10, remove Cortana/Search box from task bar via GPO (for OSD)

Question

• Is there a way to get rid of that massively oversized Bing click-bait from taskbar for Image deployment, either as part of GPO pack for OSD or, GPO to apply for users ?

(so far I can only think of reg key to modify with powershell script with GPO, but this isn't really an optimal way)

isn't there a proper GPO to control this ?  I fond GPO to disable Cortana but it leave the search bar on taskbar still. 

Thursday, November 19, 2015 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It's a bit confused about your goal. Did you want to disable the follow search box in the taskbar?

If yes, that registry could meet your goal.

When you set its value as 0, it display as below:

When you set its value as 1, it display as below:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 20, 2015 8:43 AM
  • yes the goal is to remove that search box.

Why is there no GPO for it ?

I guess I will have to do registry via GPO as ClearWindows7 suggested.

Yes. Unless you don't need search function. You could use the group policy to disable it completely include the icon and box.

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:00 AM

All replies

• As long as you configure the search feature not to use the Internet, I see no reason why you should consider the box "Bing click-bait". You can set it to only search your computer if you want.

Additionally, I think the only way to switch from the box to either the icon or no icon altogether is to modify the registry key. You can simply add the registry key using GPO, you don't need a PS script for it.

According to http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2854-search-icon-box-show-remove-windows-10-taskbar.html, you can do it with:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

SearchboxTaskbarMode DWORD

0 = Hidden
    1 = Show search or Cortana icon
    2 = Show search box

Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Yes disabling web search and Cortana was easy its in GPOs.

But when they are disabled that search box serve 0 purpose, its identical to the search from start, so all it dose it take up space on task bar.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

It's a bit confused about your goal. Did you want to disable the follow search box in the taskbar?

If yes, that registry could meet your goal.

When you set its value as 0, it display as below:

When you set its value as 1, it display as below:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 20, 2015 8:43 AM

Friday, November 20, 2015 11:18 AM

Yes. Unless you don't need search function. You could use the group policy to disable it completely include the icon and box.

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:00 AM
  • What are the settings to completely disable the search bar in Windows 10? You mention it can be done but i can not find the settings anywhere.
    Monday, March 21, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Hey all, this topic comes up as a top hit when I search so I thought I'd share my solution to get this to apply to all users that sign in for the first time, best to do this in your reference image if you use an imaging solution.

Modify the key as Karen Hu states:
    \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

SearchboxTaskbarMode DWORD

0 = Hidden
    1 = Show search or Cortana icon
    2 = Show search box

But do it for the default user profile, you can use this guide to do so.
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/chad/2012/04/25/tip-49-how-do-you-set-default-user-profile-registry-settings/

Hopefully this helps someone who is pulling their hair out like I was.

• Edited by EdK5099 Friday, February 17, 2017 3:32 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Not helpful what so ever it says REMOVE not CHANGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Not helpful what so ever it says REMOVE not CHANGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It actually is... it says "remove FROM TASKBAR", not "UNINSTALL FROM OS".
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:15 PM
  • Hi Karen

Is there anyway to configure the search option to restrict what does it search? i.e. \\network location, Hidden folders in C:\ and c:\Windows. We have configured a GPO for the windows explorer to restrict what user can search but Windows 10 search function does adhered to the windows explorer GPO settings.

As an educational institution we don't want student to access hidden files or network shares.

Regards

Babu

• Edited by WahidBabu Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:38 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:29 PM
  • Exactly!  It wastes a big strip of space on the taskbar.
    Monday, November 12, 2018 4:32 PM