Sharepoint : Show the latest published major version and Draft version.. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SharePoint Services 3.0 on a SBS2007 standard installation.

I need tips on best practice regarding the following situation (which i belive is not uncommon)

I have a document list with approval and major+minor version activated. I want my users (novice users) to, in the list, have easy access to the latest published version of a file and to the latest draft version. ( all users should see the same draft file)

* Can i make 2 views, one showing drafts and one showing approved ?

* Can i make a colum that somehow links to the latest major version for a draft file?

* Other suggestion? 

(the site has approx 5-10 users.with low experience of Sharepoint, )

Thanks

/Björn Kullenberg

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:04 AM

Answers

• You can specify (in the list's version settings) a value for "Optionally limit the number of versions to retain". If you set it to 1, then that's all they can get.  But, if you need to retain more, than you've got custom work to do.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is not possible OOB.

However I can suggest you following steps to fulfill your requireement:

1.Configure it to use 1 major and 1 minor versions.

2. Now users when logged in can see the document and then they can go to version settings nad select the version they want to access. 

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:41 AM
  • Yes, you can do this way just based on the approval workflow outcome. Approved once will fall under major verision, Draft or Not started once will fall under minor verions and u can create a view based ont his values..
    • Proposed as answer by Karthick dp Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:14 AM
  • To clarify,

Both the latest approved version and the active draft version should be easy access and clearly separated. also other versions (old once etc.) should not be easy to access.

(the requirement here comes from the european ISO17025 standard. and the fact that the users have below average general computer knowledge)

/Björn Kullenberg

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:33 AM
  • You can specify (in the list's version settings) a value for "Optionally limit the number of versions to retain". If you set it to 1, then that's all they can get.  But, if you need to retain more, than you've got custom work to do.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:48 PM