none
Cannot Create PWA after performing Database-Attach Full Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Thanks in advanced for any help. I have been at this for 2 days, an am extremely frustrated.

I am upgrading (well testing now) a Project 2007 install to Project 2010. So I followed the method outlined here <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662500.aspx>. I have the old (2007) databases on the new SQL 08 server via backup/restore. I create a new Web Application with a temporary content db, then I attach/upgrade the 2007 content DB with stsadmin. It succeeds without issue, but when I try to go create the Project Web App with the  2007 Databases and /PWA left as the Project Web App Path, I get the following error:

"The Project Web App site specified cannot be created because the site collection with that name exists or is referenced in an existing project object. Enter another Project Web App path and try again."

The old Content DB used /PWA as well, but according to the article it should be just fine.  Any ideas why this step is not working as described?

Just in efforts to troubleshoot I have tried both using a different path, and going into the content DB and deleted the current “/PWA” and in both cases I get this message on all 4 DBs in the PWA setup:

"The database specified is already used by another project server. Enter a different server or database name and try again. "

I have also tried creating a “blank web app” (not attaching the Content DB from 2007) and I get the same error when I attempt to create the WPA using those 4 DB’s from the 2007 Project server(Draft/Published/Archive/Reporting).

Any thoughts? 

Thanks again,

Mike Marx

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:33 PM

Answers

• For future searchers:

We ended up opening a support ticket with Microsoft on this. The problem turned out to be related to permissions. This is what Microsoft provided me, and this worked for me (I couldn't locate an RSExecRole, so ignored that):

•  
      1. Log onto Microsoft SQL Management Studio
      2. In Object Explorer, expand Security folder under you SQL Server
      3. Double click on the mossfarmdb account
      4. Click on Server Roles and check the following roles
        1. dbcreator
        2. public
        3. securityadmin
        4. serveradmin
        5. systadmin
      1. Click User Mapping.
      2. Check Master database and then set the following for Database role in membership for
        1. Public
        2. RSExecRole
      1. Check msdb database and then set the following for Database role in membership
        1. Public
        2. RSExecRole
        3. SQLAgentOperatorRole
        4. SQLAgentReadRole
        5. SQLAgaentUserRole
      1. Check Secure Store Service, Session state service, SharePoint_Admin Content,SharePoint_Config,State Session and the Content databases and set the following for Database role in membership
        1. Public
        2. dd_owner
      1. Click OK to close the Login Properties window
      2. Close Microsoft SQL Management Studio
      1. Click on the Start menu and point to Administrative Tools and click Local Security Policy
      2. Expand Local Policies folder and click on User Rights Assignment
      3. Right mouse click Log on as a batch job and click Properties
      1. Click Add User or Group button and enter this user account and click OK
      1. Click Ok to close the Log on as a batch job Properties window
      1. Repeat Steps 3 - 5 for Log on as a service
      2. Close the Local Security Policy window

Permissions:

Next we want to give the mossfarmdb account the permissions Log on as a batch job and Log on as a service to both the SQL Server and the SharePoint/Project Server system.  The following are these steps

• Marked as answer by Mike M 12 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your correct, it's a supported configuration, I have done them in the past.

What stsadm command are you using to attach the contentdb to the webapp? Please feel free to change the server names, but the complete syntax would be good.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:34 AM
  •  

Thanks for the response Alex. here is the command I am using, with the SQL server name and instance blanked

stsadm.exe -o addcontentdb -url http://projectsites -databasename EPM_WSS_Content_ProjectSites -databaseserver <server>\<instance>

I have tried it several times and never recieved any errors or warning, although now on my last attempt i got a warning message stating to check the log. In there i found:

[STSADM] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [WARNING] [2/2/2011 3:41:11 PM]: File [SiteTemplates\PWA\dwp\OWCViewPart.webpart] is referenced [1] times in the database [EPM_WSS_Content_ProjectServer], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this file.
    [STSADM] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [WARNING] [2/2/2011 3:41:11 PM]: One or more setup files are referenced in the database [EPM_WSS_Content_ProjectServer], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these files.
    [STSADM] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [WARNING] [2/2/2011 3:41:11 PM]: File [SiteTemplates\PWA\OWCView.aspx] is referenced [1] times in the database [EPM_WSS_Content_ProjectServer], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this file.
    [STSADM] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [WARNING] [2/2/2011 3:41:11 PM]: One or more setup files are referenced in the database [EPM_WSS_Content_ProjectServer], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these files.

and this line occurs many times, with different GUIDs

[STSADM] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [WARNING] [2/2/2011 3:41:17 PM]: WebPart class [b255b401-608d-1234-e356-5094dd5939d9] is referenced [1] times in the database [EPM_WSS_Content_ProjectServer], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this web part.

I don't know if thats necessarily applicable, and again this is only on the last install attempt that I got this, and it as exhibited the same behavior (detailed in my first post) on every attempt.

Thanks!

• Edited by Mike M 12 Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:17 PM fixed formatting/font
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Can you try restoring the content db with the following syntax:

stsadm.exe -o addcontentdb -url http://projectsites/PWA -databasename EPM_WSS_Content_ProjectSites - databaseserver <server>\<instance> 

Then provision the PWA site at http://projectsites/PWA using the four restored DB's.

The errors you listed above are to do with a missing webpart (OWCViewPart.webpart), I doubt they are causing the issue. 

Let me know how you go. 

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:05 AM
  • same error after attaching it to http://projectsites/PWA

The Project Web App site specified cannot be created because the site collection with that name exists or is referenced in an existing project object. Enter another Project Web App path and try again.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Sounds like a tricky one.  Can you create the PWA site with a completely blank SharePoint deployment (i.e. no upgraded databases)?

http://blogs.umtsa.co.za/nicoo
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Yes I am able to create a fresh PWA without issue, but obviously I need to migrate the old data.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:15 PM
  • I understand that, I'm just trying to figure out where its falling over.

I assume that you can create a blank PWA site from your 2007 DBs?  I.e., when you don't upgrade the content DB?  If you can, and you can live with the loss of the content of the PWA site you could possible export all your project workspaces to another site collection in the 2007 environment, delete the PWA site at the 2007 farm and then upgrade the content DB and the Project Server DBs?  Obviously this is a lot of work, but your situation is quite a strange one that I have not yet seen (and I have done a couple of different upgrades now) - if you really do need your PWA site to be upgraded I think you might need to escalate this one to PSS...

Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:20 PM
  • If I am understanding you correctly you are saying create a Web App with a fresh content DB (not the upgraded 2007) and then create the PWA using the 4 2007 DB's (archive, published, draft, reporting)? When I attempt to do that I get this error on all 4 DB's:

"The database specified is already used by another project server. Enter a different server or database name and try again. "

Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Hmm...didn't realise that.   Something is strange in your Project Server DBs....Would perhaps be worth to see if you can create a fresh PWA site from your 4 DBs in a 2007 environment.  Beyond that I have no idea, haven't seen this before.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Nico,

It seems you may have the right idea. Through a set of circumstances we had to rollback the involved SQL and SP server to just after the 2010 install. After doing that I created my web app (http://projectserver) with a temp DB and then perform an attach using the 2007 PWA content DB and remove the temp DB. Then I go to create the Project Web Application and much to my surprise this time it lets me click next! Those errors don't occur. So I start getting all excited, but just a bit to soon....

After it goes to "Waiting for resources" etc, it states "Failed - see the Application event Log"

I check the Application log and I see four items:

Provisioning 'PWA': One or more of the databases already contains schema. When editing or creating a Project Server instance, you may specify:
    * Four databases that do not exist
    * Four existing, blank databases
    * Four existing Project Server databases of the same version from the same installation.
    Combinations of blank, new, and existing databases are not allowed.

----------------------------------------

Provisioning 'PWA': Failed to provision databases. An exception occurred: Non project schema..

Provisioning 'PWA': Database provisioning failed.

Failed to provision site PWA with error: Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProvisionException: Failed to provision databases. ---> Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProvisionException: Non project schema.
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.EnsureDatabases(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPSite pwaSite, String adminName, String adminEmail, ProjectDatabaseStateType& originalDatabaseState, Guid& adminGuid)
      --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.EnsureDatabases(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPSite pwaSite, String adminName, String adminEmail, ProjectDatabaseStateType& originalDatabaseState, Guid& adminGuid)
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset)

I know all 4 DB's were copied directly from the 07 install, and I have verified the DB names are entered correctly in the create PWA screen and verified them on the 08 SQL server.

I also tried the core-db attach method (where you use the Archive, Published, Reporting, Draft DBs but not the content DB). So i created a new Web Application with an empy DB and attempted to create the PWA using the 4 Db's from 07, but i got the exact same results, and same log entries.

Any ideas? I just had the DBA copy fresh all 5 DBs (Contect, Archive, Published...etc) today.

And again thank you for your assistance and suggestions.

Friday, February 4, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi, Are you 110% sure that you restored the 4x copied database correctly? I had a similar error recently that I swore blind I had restored them properly, so ended up deleting them from the target server and then restored afresh, rather than on top and and all worked!
    Alex Burton
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:57 AM
  • Yeah, I would second Alexander - perhaps scan through your tables in each of the DBs to make sure they match up with what is in the 2007 environment...
    Friday, February 4, 2011 12:55 PM
  • For future searchers:

We ended up opening a support ticket with Microsoft on this. The problem turned out to be related to permissions. This is what Microsoft provided me, and this worked for me (I couldn't locate an RSExecRole, so ignored that):

•  
      1. Log onto Microsoft SQL Management Studio
      2. In Object Explorer, expand Security folder under you SQL Server
      3. Double click on the mossfarmdb account
      4. Click on Server Roles and check the following roles
        1. dbcreator
        2. public
        3. securityadmin
        4. serveradmin
        5. systadmin
      1. Click User Mapping.
      2. Check Master database and then set the following for Database role in membership for
        1. Public
        2. RSExecRole
      1. Check msdb database and then set the following for Database role in membership
        1. Public
        2. RSExecRole
        3. SQLAgentOperatorRole
        4. SQLAgentReadRole
        5. SQLAgaentUserRole
      1. Check Secure Store Service, Session state service, SharePoint_Admin Content,SharePoint_Config,State Session and the Content databases and set the following for Database role in membership
        1. Public
        2. dd_owner
      1. Click OK to close the Login Properties window
      2. Close Microsoft SQL Management Studio
      1. Click on the Start menu and point to Administrative Tools and click Local Security Policy
      2. Expand Local Policies folder and click on User Rights Assignment
      3. Right mouse click Log on as a batch job and click Properties
      1. Click Add User or Group button and enter this user account and click OK
      1. Click Ok to close the Log on as a batch job Properties window
      1. Repeat Steps 3 - 5 for Log on as a service
      2. Close the Local Security Policy window

Permissions:

Next we want to give the mossfarmdb account the permissions Log on as a batch job and Log on as a service to both the SQL Server and the SharePoint/Project Server system.  The following are these steps

• Marked as answer by Mike M 12 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:39 PM