none
Upgrade to R2 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to run some newer software on the server but it appears it does not work with Windows Server 2012 Essentials. Is it possible to upgrade to R2 Essentials?

Is the process relativity simple? Will the upgrade change settings I should it just carry on as it was?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Server Essentials does not support upgrade(in-place upgrade). If you want to use Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and replace Windows Server 2012 Essentials, migration would be recommended, and existing configuration/data will be transferred to the new server during migration. 

General steps of migration:
    1. Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.
    2. Add add it to existing domain and configure it as replica DC.
    3. Connect clients to new server.
    4. Move data and settings.
    5. Demote and remove old server.

Detail steps you may reference - Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633(v=ws.11).aspx

Windows Server 2012 Essentials and Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials are different OS version, you should purchase license for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. 

As you had mentioned that you want to upgrade the OS due to software compatibility, I would recommend to you use WS 2012 R2 evaluation to have a test(free for 180 days) first. If the software is working with no problem, you may consider of purchasing it. Also, you can contact the software provider/supporter and confirm with them about the compatibility problem, make sure that if there is any update/hotfix which will be helpful to resolve the problem.

Windows Server 2012 R2 evaluation version on Microsoft Evaluation Center:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:44 AM