none
Multi project 'What-if' Analysis RRS feed

• Question

• Despite the very useful help on these forums I still find a fundamental flaw with MS Project is it's poor portfolio/programme management capability. It's great to have the ability to build master projects from sub-projects and see the programme level CP. However one of the main benefits of this capability should be 'what-if' analysis at a master project level. I find this impossible in MSP without the high risk of saving back analysis scenario data to the original sub-projects. Unless of course I am missing something.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:35 AM

Answers

• Bouncer,

You can also make the link between the source file and the master (consolidated) project file read-only before performing an analysis.  Naturally, depending on the number of projects tied to the master, this can be time consuming, but it guarantees that nothing will be saved back to the source file until you are ready.  Once you are satisified with the changes, you can remove the read-only feature and save the data between the master file and the source file. 

To make each source file read-only, double-click on the inserted project in the master file, select the advanced tab and select the "Read-only" check-box under the "Link to project" check-box.  Do not remove the link to the source file however, as this will make the source file data become static in the master file.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:23 PM

All replies

• bouncer3000 --

Why don't you set your Multi-Level Undo value to 99 and then perform your "what if" analysis in the master project.  If you do not like the results, use the Undo button to set it back as far as you need to do.  But do not save your changes to the master project or the subprojects until you are certain that the "what if" analysis has generated the desired results.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Hi Bouncer,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

Why don�??t you just take copies of your current files and work on those?

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Bouncer,

You can also make the link between the source file and the master (consolidated) project file read-only before performing an analysis.  Naturally, depending on the number of projects tied to the master, this can be time consuming, but it guarantees that nothing will be saved back to the source file until you are ready.  Once you are satisified with the changes, you can remove the read-only feature and save the data between the master file and the source file. 

To make each source file read-only, double-click on the inserted project in the master file, select the advanced tab and select the "Read-only" check-box under the "Link to project" check-box.  Do not remove the link to the source file however, as this will make the source file data become static in the master file.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Gregg,

Thanks for your response. I have implemented your suggestion above. Is does prevent writing back and is a workable solution. I had already created all the sub-projects as read only independantly, but this is slightly better.

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:53 AM