Desktop icon background trasparency? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find a way to make the background of the desktop icons transparent in Windows 7.  Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:04 PM

Answers

• If I were interpreting your question correctly, you need to change the color from 16-bit to 32-bit to have the Desktop icon have transparent background.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:28 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:03 AM

All replies

• Can you clarify your question a little more please? What app icons do you want transparent? This sounds like a cool feature, if such feature exists in win7.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back, promptly if possible with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. system requirements
    Readme for older ATI graphics card and Windows 7 users
    - JoelbX
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Whether the backgrounds of icons have transparency or not is determined by the icon's alpha channel.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:26 AM
  • If you create an icon from some other type of image the background is solid color instead of transparant. There are programs that can be used to edit icon files so they will be.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:34 PM
  • The icons I want transparent are the normal desktop program icons, like for Computer, Recycle Bin, Remote Desktop Connection, McAfee, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Malware Bytes, etc.

I know there is a way to do it in XP, and in Vista, but those methods do not work with Windows 7.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Check your performance settings.  I think the one you need is "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:56 AM
  • If I were interpreting your question correctly, you need to change the color from 16-bit to 32-bit to have the Desktop icon have transparent background.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:28 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:03 AM
  • THANK YOU for telling where the background of the text of desktop icons is set.

I think it's funny that the setting is called "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop", when in fact when this is set then the black background behind the icon's text is set to "Clear", thus making it appear that there is no Drop Shadow.

Microsoft's help is no help on this item.

Again, THANK YOU ! !

Programming for 36 years
    • Edited by Dan McGarigle Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:17 PM spelling error
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:06 PM