I want to deploy Distribution Points (ultimatly using Add-CMDistributionPoint). Can I do this from a Primary Site (installed as a Standalone site) -Do I need and can I create a 'New Site System Server' to make this so? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there...

I'm doing a small POC to simply confirm that I can automate the creation of distribution points in SCCM. My intention was to use the Add-CMDistibtionPoint cmdlet.  I have a installed a Primary Site Server (choosing the installation option 'install the primary site as a stand-alone site').  Now as Neil's excellent post suggests below, before you you create the DP you need to add a New Site System Server to host the target distribution point. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/neilp/archive/2013/03/23/at-long-last-add-cmdistributionpoint-powershell-cmdlet-included-in-configuration-manager-sp1-cu1.aspx

My QUESTION IS THIS..

In my small lab I intend to build a new machine to host said 'new site system server'/'new DP'. But can I add a New Site System Server  when all I have is a primary site (not a CAS)?  If so  I assume this would be classed then as a remote site server and if I put the DP on that would be a remote DP because its on a remote site server. 

Secondly, assuming that's all possible is there any prerequisites I would need on that new machine before adding the new site system server (I assume just IIS configured)??

Thanks for taking the time to read. all feedback greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:04 PM

Answers

• the answer to my own Question is yeS!

• Marked as answer by SCO User Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:08 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:08 PM