Normal Form RRS feed

• Question

• In a database design until which normal form it is practically possible? until 2<sup>nd</sup> normal form is it advisable?

Monday, May 26, 2014 1:05 PM

Answers

• Generally the goal is 3NF design.

To achieve 3NF design, hiring a skillful database designer can be very helpful.

Blog: Normalizing Your Database: Third Normal Form (3NF)

QUOTE: "Third normal form (3NF) is a database principle that allows you to cleanly organize your tables by building upon the database normalization principles provided by 1NF and 2NF.

There are two basic requirements for a database to be in third normal form:
    •Already meet the requirements of both 1NF and 2NF
    •Remove columns that are not fully dependent upon the primary key. "

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SQL Server 2014 Design & Programming
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Monday, May 26, 2014 7:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi NEditor Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, June 3, 2014 2:00 AM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Just to Add a little more to Mr. Kalman Toth I would like to say a little more to that .....

The following normal form are the three most common in the normalization process:

1. The 1st  normal form
    2. The 2nd normal form
    3. The 3rd normal form

There are other normal forms that we can list but they are NOT most likely used than the three major ones I have listed above.  Out of the three major normal forms, each consequent normal form depends on each normalization steps in use in the previous normal form. (i.e 2NF is derived from 1NF by further breaking into more units.)

So many DBAs have the same opinion that third normal form (3NF) is the minimum requirement for standard OLTP databases. You may be able to continue or even aspire to go beyond 3NF, but it is not usually necessary.

I hope this more helps to provide you a little more.goodluck

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that has answered your question as it is very relevant to other community members dealing with same problem in seeking the right answer

• Edited by Abubeker Refaw Monday, May 26, 2014 11:05 PM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 11:01 PM

All replies

• Generally the goal is 3NF design.

To achieve 3NF design, hiring a skillful database designer can be very helpful.

Blog: Normalizing Your Database: Third Normal Form (3NF)

QUOTE: "Third normal form (3NF) is a database principle that allows you to cleanly organize your tables by building upon the database normalization principles provided by 1NF and 2NF.

There are two basic requirements for a database to be in third normal form:
    •Already meet the requirements of both 1NF and 2NF
    •Remove columns that are not fully dependent upon the primary key. "

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SQL Server 2014 Design & Programming
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Monday, May 26, 2014 7:40 PM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Just to Add a little more to Mr. Kalman Toth I would like to say a little more to that .....

The following normal form are the three most common in the normalization process:

1. The 1st  normal form
    2. The 2nd normal form
    3. The 3rd normal form

There are other normal forms that we can list but they are NOT most likely used than the three major ones I have listed above.  Out of the three major normal forms, each consequent normal form depends on each normalization steps in use in the previous normal form. (i.e 2NF is derived from 1NF by further breaking into more units.)

So many DBAs have the same opinion that third normal form (3NF) is the minimum requirement for standard OLTP databases. You may be able to continue or even aspire to go beyond 3NF, but it is not usually necessary.

I hope this more helps to provide you a little more.goodluck

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that has answered your question as it is very relevant to other community members dealing with same problem in seeking the right answer

• Edited by Abubeker Refaw Monday, May 26, 2014 11:05 PM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 11:01 PM