Problems removing sealed management pack, dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• I created and sealed a management pack, this has been imported to our system.
    I used an unsealed managementpack to create overrides in, these was added, but later removed again

Due to some changes i need to remove the sealed managementpack, but i get an error about dependencies to the unsealed managementpack, allthough i have removed the overrides in this.

The question is:
    How do i find out what references are still present, and how do I remove them?
    I looked with the override explorer, but cant seem to find any references there.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 12:39 PM

Answers

• You need to remove the Reference to the MP you want to remove from your override MP in addition to the overrides.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hmm.

Let me get this clear:

1: You created a MP
    2: Sealed it
    3: Imported it in SCOM
    4: Created overrides, put in seperate unsealed MP
    5: You deleted that unsealed MP containing all overrides to the sealed MP
    6: Now you want to delete the sealed MP but get messages about references/dependendies to the unsealed MP

Strange. Sounds like the unsealed MP is still in place. Or that the MP was created with references to other MPs. How ever, multiple approaches can be used/tried here:

1: Check to see whether unsealed MP is still in place. Export it, then delete it
    3: When 1 doesn't work or isn't an option: In SCOM UI: Look at the properties of the MP and check its dependencies tab in order to see what it references to
    2: When 1 or 2 doesn't work or isn't an option: export sealed MP using PS so it becomes an xml file. Open it in notepad and checkout the references
    Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:10 PM
  • you are correct in all except 5.
    i deleted the overrides placed in this managementpack, not the managementpack.

1:the management pack is still there, as it is needed for overrides in management packs(the original overrides were placed in this by mistake)
    2:i see the references in the opsmgr UI.
    3:i have the unsealed version of the management, from which i created the sealed managementpack, but i naturally dont see any of these.

ill try to export the other management packs to see what the references are, they are pure override management packs, and i cleared out the overrides allready, but i think the references are still present.

Friday, November 20, 2009 1:55 PM
  • You need to remove the Reference to the MP you want to remove from your override MP in addition to the overrides.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:49 PM
  • What I did to solve the problem:

I made sure i had removed all overrides from the managementpacks.
    I Exported the managementpacks to xml that the console
    I opened the managementpacks in notepad
    I removed the references to the managementpack i need to remove
    I re-imported the revised managementpacks
    I removed the sealed managementpack with the problems.

Thanks for the help, looks like my problem is solved.
    i just wonder if its a bug that the references arent removed when the overrides has been removed.
    • Proposed as answer by TMing Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:07 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:58 AM
  • I found your post, Michael, and just went through the same scenario.  Thank you for detailing your solution. 

I am curious too, is it a bug that the reference isn't removed?

Kate

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Were experiencing the same behavior here....   It seems that we have had references added to our override management packs from numerous sealed management packs.  And they really dont require the references at all. 

An example is our HPUX override management pack has a reference to ISA 2006.  I think it's a bug somewhere that is creating these... 

Are you on R2 release?

Jeff Mayrand
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Jeff... we are on R2....

Kate

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hi there.  I don't have an answer, but another example of this here.  When I went to delete the Exchange 2007 MP v. 6.0.6461.0, there were many unrelated unsealed MPs that were dependent on it, including many that never had any Exchange overrides stored in them!  While it's fairly easy to export the unsealed MPs and delete the references, while you're doing that, nothing that is stored in those MPs (rules, monitors, overrides) are functioning and it really creates some chaos in your management group.
    Layne
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:49 PM
  • It was not a bug in the code but a problem with our process.  We had an admin create a new management pack that was removed but the references were still there.  We just exported and cleaned up the bad references and it works.  Thanks to the Silect guys for showing us where the error was!  They have a nice management suite if you need to get more control on who are changing the management packs.

Jeff Mayrand
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:46 PM