Internet Explorer Maintenance - missing, so now what? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

So I cannot edit Internet Explorer Maintenance settings as they have been depreciated and as such, I now can't edit sites I have previously put out on to everyone's PCs as favourites. I need to update these Favourites as a couple of them are now wrong or not used. How am I meant to do this?!!!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Monday, March 30, 2015 10:21 AM

Answers

• Ok then,

I built a 2003 VM. Added it to the domain. Opened up MMC --> Added the Group Policy snap in. Edited the Group Policy that has been giving me grief. I'll now remove the VM from the network! Job done at last!

• Marked as answer by DominoDongle Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:42 AM

All replies

• can't edit sites I have previously put out on to everyone's PCs as favourites.

It may help to describe what exactly that entailed.  E.g. I can remember seeing the IEAK putting Favorites into the registry so that they could be automatically regenerated each time the package was installed and that prevented users from deleting those unless they also had access to the registry so that they could remove that specification. 

So, if the above was the case perhaps you could just deploy a .bat file with some reg.exe commands in it?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert,

I deployed a list of "Favourites" via the IE Maintenance setting in Group Policy. Now the setting is not in Group Policy, so my question is, how do I change them? I can see the "Setting" in the view of the Group Policy, but when I go to edit it...it is not there!

Kind regards,

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:52 AM
  • Use a Windows system that is running IE8 or IE9 and use the GP Management console on this station.

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA
    http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

"If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

• Proposed as answer by Tim Buntrock Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:15 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:00 AM
  • So I cannot edit Internet Explorer Maintenance settings as they have been depreciated and as such, I now can't edit sites I have previously put out on to everyone's PCs as favourites. I need to update these Favourites as a couple of them are now wrong or not used. How am I meant to do this?!!!

GP-IEM was deprecated when IE10 was released. It's not coming back. Migrate your approach to GPP.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn338129.aspx

(or you can use an old OS, with an old version of IE)
    (note that IE10 and older becomes unsupported January 2016)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Tim Buntrock Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:15 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:20 AM
  • Ok then,

I built a 2003 VM. Added it to the domain. Opened up MMC --> Added the Group Policy snap in. Edited the Group Policy that has been giving me grief. I'll now remove the VM from the network! Job done at last!

• Marked as answer by DominoDongle Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:42 AM