none
Tape detailed inventory failed DPM 2007

Question

• Our backup to the tape drive is failing. The server crashed so we rebuilt it with Windows Server 2008 standard x32 and put DPM 2007 on it. When we had Windows Server 2003, also with DPM 2007, installed it was able to backup to tape. The event log is empty too. I dont see anything about the tape drive or a communication issue.  

When I try to inventory the tapes I get an error saying “The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID 3316). Tape Library Quantum ValueLoader could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Quantum ValueLoader will fail if the connection is not established. The attempted contact failed for the following reason: (ID 3301)”. I thought it was a driver issue but device manager see the library and the tapes.

On Quantum’s Software Compatibility Guide it shows support for Backup Exec on Windows Server  2008 x64 but not DPM.

The tape drive is a Quantum ValueLoder SDLT 320

• Edited by Luz3r Friday, January 13, 2012 7:54 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 7:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• The tape and library drivers you are using is from the vendor or installed by Windows?
    Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:24 AM
  • It looks like they are from the Quantum.

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Would it be possible for you to contact Quantum support to check whether they have a newer driver for Library/Tape Drive for Windows 2008?

Also check their supportability for those two components on a Windows 2008 Server

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:23 PM
  • I just sent them an emial. Hopefully they do.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:20 PM
  • This is the email I got from their rep and I dont see any 2008 drivers on their website.

Thank you for your email.  Unfortunately, the Valueloader is end of service life.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:50 PM