merge in progress ?? RRS feed

• Question

• hello

tonight i shut down my virtual machines (to move hardware)

one of the VMs said merge in progress  under status.

after 1 min it went to 1% complete.  i had to just shut down the 2008 machine.

When it booted back up, the VM loaded normal.  What was the problem ? i cant find anything in relation to merge in progress and what it means.
    Chris D
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 11:22 PM

Answers

• No!!! absolutely not! Taking a snapshot is not a backup method!

Hyper-V introduces the concept of virtual machine snapshots - which is to say point in time images of a virtual machine that you can return to at any stage.  These snapshots are implemented in the virtualization layer - and can be taken at any time with any guest operating system (even during an operating system installation).  Snapshots can be taken whether the virtual machine is running or stopped.  If the virtual machine is running when the snapshot is taken there is no downtime involved to create the snapshot.

Once you have snapshots associated with a virtual machine you can use the Revert option.  This will take a virtual machine back to the last snapshot that was taken or applied (indicated in the Snapshots pane by the green arrow head) and delete any changes that have been made since that snapshot.

Monday, June 2, 2008 9:56 AM
  •    The best solution is to let the merge finish. You will then never see merge again unless you take another snapshot.
    Bill
    Monday, June 2, 2008 10:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Did you ever make snapshots?
    Monday, June 2, 2008 8:58 AM
  • HI

i did do once for testing. Are snap shots a method of backing up a VM?
    Chris D
    • Proposed as answer by Quangtran2710 Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:00 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2008 9:26 AM
  • No!!! absolutely not! Taking a snapshot is not a backup method!

Hyper-V introduces the concept of virtual machine snapshots - which is to say point in time images of a virtual machine that you can return to at any stage.  These snapshots are implemented in the virtualization layer - and can be taken at any time with any guest operating system (even during an operating system installation).  Snapshots can be taken whether the virtual machine is running or stopped.  If the virtual machine is running when the snapshot is taken there is no downtime involved to create the snapshot.

Once you have snapshots associated with a virtual machine you can use the Revert option.  This will take a virtual machine back to the last snapshot that was taken or applied (indicated in the Snapshots pane by the green arrow head) and delete any changes that have been made since that snapshot.

Monday, June 2, 2008 9:56 AM
  • Thank you for this information :)

How do i remove the snapshot so it does not do the merge in progress again?
    Chris D
    Monday, June 2, 2008 10:01 AM
  •    The best solution is to let the merge finish. You will then never see merge again unless you take another snapshot.
    Bill
    Monday, June 2, 2008 10:18 AM
  • hi

i still have this issue.  same VM. when i shut it down, it says on merge in progress for ages. the snapshots folder is over 15GB in size.  I have not made any snap shots.
    Chris D
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Could you try the following?

- Take a new snapshot of the machine
     - After the snapshot is taken remove the snapshot

Then shutdown the machine and let's see what happen...

Regards....Peter

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:01 PM
  • I ran into this thread desperately looking for a solution to snapshots that outgrew the capacity of my disk to merge and devised a solution.  You can move the snapshots to a network share and edit the virtual machine's xml file (in c:\program data\microsoft\windows\hyper-v) to point to that share using unc (you need to stop hyper-v services to edit this file).  Once the merge is complete then you can put everything back to normal.  (the xml file will have the same name as the directory where the nightmare snapshots are stored).  Perhaps this is already known to many but never found it in searching.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Hi Jeff,
    Could you please elaborate me more into what you were telling. As here too I m facing the problem of disk space. I have deleted the old snapshots taken in last few months but, the VM was not turned off to do the merge process. Now,the differencing files(*.avhd) have consumed lot of space(around 400GB). I dont know what will be the downtime of VM if i turn it off. Hence, please give me more details in your idea.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Hello Vidz,

If you take a snapshot and then delete it, you still need to turn that particular VM off so that the .avhd can merge to the .vhd file.  It can take a long time depending upon the speed and type of drive, size of file and I/O load on the particular disk.  Jeff is correct, if you are running out of space then you can move the .avhd file to another drive and update the VM's xml configuration file manually located in drive:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Snapshots\ or ..\virtual machines\

I had a 25 GB .avhd file running on a relatively new Dell server with 15 k rpm 450 GB SCA drive.  The merge process took approx. 10 minutes.  The actual .vhd file is located on a separate physical disk.  If you have both .avhd and .vhd on same disk, the merge process may even take longer.

Sam
    ForteHosting.com

Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Peter,
    I tried to do as described, take a new snapshot and then delete it. After shtdown nothing happens. Now I have 5 snapshots and the Manager says "the selected virtual machine has no snapshots". Should the AVHD files remove themselves?
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:58 AM
  • Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:21 AM
  • Jeff

Thanks for this little old post, it's solved my problem wonderfully.

I think you ought to put a bigger better post out there and take some credit.

Thanks

Mike

Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:13 PM
  • In My care, We had A hyper v VM with 2 snapshot, which were deleted from console but not removed from the original location due to VM machine not shut down. So to merge the snapshots I have shutdown the VM and found that merging of snapshot repeating again and again. If I try to start the VM then getting error that "VM name" An attempt to initialize VM saved state failed and "VM Name" failed to create or access saved state fail. Search the solution in many articles but no use. 

Finally the solution is the VM Snapshots size one is 23GB & one is 26GB but the drive hosting the VM and snapshots having a 0% free space. So I managed to make some free space and the problem got resolved. I can see that merge is finished and I can able to start my VM and its working perfectly.

Note: make sure that you have sufficient free space in the drive which is hosting your VM & snapshots (At least 40% of VM+ Snapshot size).

Sunday, August 4, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Hi

I have the similar issue.

I have powered down the guest and deleted a snapshot from 2011, and the merge process began. Then 4% into it, i noticed there is not enough space to complete the process.

I tried to cancel the merge before it ate all the space (as it is the C:) - but it gives error permission denied even tho I logged in Admin account.

So i did a forced shutdown of the Hyper-V host (2008 R2).

And that is where i am now.

I cant find any info on the net regarding force stop of a merge.

Can it be continued??

I am planning to start up in safe mode and move the vhd and avhd to another server or USB HDD. Once there can i continue the merge manually where it left off using powershell???

Please help

• Edited by rm501 Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:55 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:53 PM
  • Wow this merge thing this is just bad design. 

I disabled snapshots entirely because I thought that was causing this merge issue. But even with it turned off I get this merge in process business, destroying my SSD 100% utilization. 

This is a joke. 

Cool signature, cool guy.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Another option here to avoid the downtime, replicate your vm to another host, the replica will not copy the snapshot, then failover to the other host so you can shutdown the primary and allow the merge to happen.

Worked great for me this way.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:23 PM