PC had blue screen after 10th October update, best approach to turn WSUS back on? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have automatic updates turned on for critical updates and security updates (which we will no longer do) and a few machines got the blue screen of death after installing KB4041676 or KB4041691 which I think Microsoft rectified.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4049094/windows-devices-may-fail-to-boot-after-installing-october-10-version-o

In panic I declined any update associated with KB4041676 or KB4041691, and disabled the network card (it's a VM).

Now I'm not sure of the best way to approach this server as I need it back online.

What would you do?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

We have automatic updates turned on for critical updates and security updates (which we will no longer do) and a few machines got the blue screen of death after installing KB4041676 or KB4041691 which I think Microsoft rectified.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4049094/windows-devices-may-fail-to-boot-after-installing-october-10-version-o

In panic I declined any update associated with KB4041676 or KB4041691, and disabled the network card (it's a VM).

Now I'm not sure of the best way to approach this server as I need it back online.

What would you do?

Thanks

• Merged by Elton_Ji Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:33 AM duplicated
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Have you done the operation "Prevent deployment of Delta and Cumulative updates in the same month" :

https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-pl/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy/monthly-delta-update-isv-support-without-WSUS?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396.

If there is no WinRE mode can be load , please try to use a win10 installation CD to boot the computer up then execute the above DISM commands . 

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by antwesor Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:43 AM
  • Thanks for the info Elton.

Yes those are the steps we followed on the users PCs that had the issue and it worked.  I guess we can't prevent WSUS from rolling out bad updates, so have turned off auto approvals as it's too risky.

I declined any update associated with KB4041676 or KB4041691 so I guess I'm save to bring the server back online?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

>>so have turned off auto approvals as it's too risky.I declined any update associated with KB4041676 or KB4041691 so I guess I'm save to bring the server back online?

Yes , it is safe to bring the server back online .

Generally , this shouldn't happen .

I'd suggest you manually download and install these updates for that server . 

Best Regards,

Elton

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

As MS suggested , we may install the problematic updates from windows update (or manually download them and install them for problematic computers ).

I'v also done that in my lab .

Best Regards,

Elton

• Edited by Elton_Ji Friday, October 20, 2017 4:21 AM
    Friday, October 20, 2017 4:20 AM