none
Secondary DNS Server takes more than 30 minutes to update records from Primary DNS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a 2 DCs and 2 Secondary DNS servers (AD integrated zones). Clients are configured to use Secondary DNS Servers - Everything works fine.

But

Whenever i make any changes in records of Primary DNS (DCs) it takes atleast 30 mins to update in secondary DNS Servers automatically. If i manually "Transfer from Master"& "Reload" & "Refresh" it updates instantly on Secondary servers -

Is there any sync cycle in between primary dns server and secondary dns server by default, if so then how can we customize it ?

In linux its possible but havent found option in dns mmc in windows. However, i got an option to "Notify" in primary server for the zone. will it help ?

All Servers are 2012 R2.

Please suggest - Thanks.

Thanks, Rishi Pandit.

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:31 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Yes, this can be adjusted. The setting you need is called the Refresh Interval. here is an article describing how to configure it: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783315(v=ws.10).aspx

• Open the DNS snap-in
    • In the console tree, right-click the applicable zone, and then click Properties
    • On the General tab, verify that the zone type is either Primary or Active Directory-Integrated
    • Click the Start of Authority (SOA) tab
    • In Refresh interval, Retry interval, or Expires after, click a time period in minutes, hours, or days, and type a number in the text box
    • Click OK to save the adjusted interval

Regards

• Marked as answer by Rishi Pandit Friday, May 20, 2016 9:48 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, this can be adjusted. The setting you need is called the Refresh Interval. here is an article describing how to configure it: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783315(v=ws.10).aspx

• Open the DNS snap-in
    • In the console tree, right-click the applicable zone, and then click Properties
    • On the General tab, verify that the zone type is either Primary or Active Directory-Integrated
    • Click the Start of Authority (SOA) tab
    • In Refresh interval, Retry interval, or Expires after, click a time period in minutes, hours, or days, and type a number in the text box
    • Click OK to save the adjusted interval

Regards

• Marked as answer by Rishi Pandit Friday, May 20, 2016 9:48 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 9:28 AM
  • Thanks a lot - It worked well.

Thanks, Rishi Pandit.

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:49 AM
  • Hi Rishi Pandit,

Glad to see you got the answer quickly. Welcome to post questions to this forum if you have other questions about IPAM, DHCP and DNS.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 23, 2016 5:44 AM