How do I alphabetize start menu so the Programs dont move back to their original location? RRS feed

• Question

• Everytime I move programs in the start menu so they alphabetize they time out and jump back to their original location.  Very frustrating becasue i could do this in WinXP. They will stay put for a little while but ultimately move back.  For example, some of the programs have icons to their left and some have folders.  Win7 puts the folder list of programs below the icon list.  When I move, for example, the Accessories folder to the top of the program start menu - it will move (I unchecked auto alphabetize so I can move the programs around.)  But it moves back to below the folder list with icons after a minute or so.  We want the entire list alphabetized and i used to do this in Win XP.  Any suggestions? 

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:39 PM

Answers

• Hi dendinsd,

This issue was reported to related group for further research. For your reference, here is an older thread about this issue: Start Menu Program Sorting

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Sincerely,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:50 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 6:28 AM

All replies

• Forget the Microsoft way and install Classic Start Menu free from:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

it gives you a properly improved XP start menu

and you can revert to the Genuine WIn7 by pressing SHIFT WinKey if you ever want to.

hope that helps

Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:37 PM
  • Thank you.  I will try it.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi dendinsd,

This issue was reported to related group for further research. For your reference, here is an older thread about this issue: Start Menu Program Sorting

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Sincerely,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:50 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Microsoft really messed up here.

I am trying to fix this problem also. I realize this is an old post, but reading these, people still have this problem. It is a digress from windows xp!

Is there anyone with a solution??

Computer Savy

Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:26 PM