Word 2010 TOC RRS feed

• Question

• Can I have certain words in the TOC appear in a different color than other words in the TOC?  I am manually changing the colors but then when I have to update my TOC, the color defaults back to black.  HELP?
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:57 PM

All replies

• The only way to have colours of any kind in a TOC is via the paragraph Style formats that apply to each TOC level. That formats the whole TOC entry for every heading at that level. You cannot apply a different colour to individual words/characters. If you need that, you will need to unlink the TOC (via Ctrl-Shift-F9), then apply the colouring. For your own sanity, do that only after all other editing is finished.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, the document is a work in progress and will be updated constantly. I guess I will have to do away with colors. Thanks again!
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:29 PM
  • No.  As macropod pointed out, formatting in the TOC is based on TOC styles that get re-applied when the TOC is regenerated.

You will need a macro that can find and highlight words in a list that you provide it. Then select the TOC and run the macro on the selected text only.

Download a copy of this book. It has HUNDREDS of macros, including a bunch that do 'highlighting'. If there isn't one that works exactly right, you may be able to adapt one to do what you want.  If you do, please post it back here.

Macros for Writers, Editors and Proofreaders

by Paul Beverley, LCGI

http://www.archivepub.co.uk/book.html

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:33 AM
  • No.  As macropod pointed out, formatting in the TOC is based on TOC styles that get re-applied when the TOC is regenerated.

You will need a macro that can find and highlight words in a list that you provide it. Then select the TOC and run the macro on the selected text only.

No amount of messing around with macros is going to address the OP's aim, which is to format individual words within a TOC field. Sending the OP off on a wild goose chase for a macro to do something even you acknowledge can't be done is hardly being helpful

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 22, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Hey paul:

Reconsider.

The idea is simple, here is the process as I envision it.

• User generates the TOC
    • User Selects the new TOC
    • Run a macro that finds words in a provided list
    • Macro applies font or highlight color
    • end macro.
    • repeat as required

I have seen a macro that does that. I am almost certain it is in that book. I didn't find it in my first scan through and was not willing to invest more time searching. I did a quick proof of concept. a manual find will do as described. 

And even if the exact macro is not there, they can piece together one that will do that .

So is it really a wild goose chase?

Monday, April 22, 2013 7:37 PM
  • So is it really a wild goose chase?

Certainly without all the circumlocation you've belatedly described, it would have been pointless and, given you don't even know if the link has anything relevant, it probably remains a wild goose chase.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 22, 2013 10:34 PM