none
Add user into localgroup on remote computers RRS feed

• Question

• # Add domain user into localgroup of remote computers in list
    $serverList = Get-Content -Path .\serverList.txt
    $serverList | % {
    net localgroup Administrators /add "DOMAIN\user1"
    #

^I've been using cmd net localgroup to add user into localgroup on a single computer.

Is there's a substitute for this so I can run it in PowerShell on a list of remote computers?

thank you!

~Pat

---Pat

Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:38 AM

Answers

• Here is a filtered list of scripts that can be used for remote management of local groups and accounts:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/site/search?f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&f%5B0%5D.Value=local+group&searchbox_searchImg.x=0&searchbox_searchImg.y=0

You can also use the PowerShellGet module:

Find-Module  LocalUserManagement| Install-Module

You can also use PsRemoting.

Invoke-Command -Scriptblock {net localgroup Administrators /add "DOMAIN\user1"} -Computer remotepc

To use any of these you will need to learn basic PwoerShell.  Here is a good place to start.

Learn PowerShell  

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BOfH-666 Sunday, March 11, 2018 3:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Patrick M Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:21 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:36 PM
  • Thanks @jrv

I choose https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Add-AD-UserGroup-to-Local-fe5e9239

It works on remote computer in a list. I've used it to add users not only to Administrators group, but other group like Remote Desktop Users as well :)

---Pat

• Marked as answer by Patrick M Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:23 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:23 AM

All replies

• Look in the Gallery for many scripts that can do what you ask.  "NET" cannot do this.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:43 AM
  • You can use the WinNT provider in PowerShell to deal with local objects, like local groups, remotely. For example, to add a domain user to a local group:

$LocalGrp = [ADSI]"WinNT://Computer/Administrators,group"
    $DomainUser = [ADSI]"WinNT://domain/username,user"
    If ($LocalGrp.IsMember($DomainUser.Path) -eq $False)
    {
        $LocalGrp.Add($DomainUser.Path)
    }

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Thanks @Richard Mueller for pointing out the use of WinNT provider.

I suppose it only works if you run the cmd on a local computer, not remotely?

---Pat

Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:21 PM
  • The code works with any computer.  If you look in the Gallery you will find many more complete scripts that do what you are asking.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:25 PM
  • Here is a filtered list of scripts that can be used for remote management of local groups and accounts:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/site/search?f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&f%5B0%5D.Value=local+group&searchbox_searchImg.x=0&searchbox_searchImg.y=0

You can also use the PowerShellGet module:

Find-Module  LocalUserManagement| Install-Module

You can also use PsRemoting.

Invoke-Command -Scriptblock {net localgroup Administrators /add "DOMAIN\user1"} -Computer remotepc

To use any of these you will need to learn basic PwoerShell.  Here is a good place to start.

Learn PowerShell  

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Patrick M Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:21 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:36 PM
  • Thanks @jrv

I choose https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Add-AD-UserGroup-to-Local-fe5e9239

It works on remote computer in a list. I've used it to add users not only to Administrators group, but other group like Remote Desktop Users as well :)

---Pat

• Marked as answer by Patrick M Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:23 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:23 AM
  • I highly recommend using the Gallery and your search engine to find scripts. Maybe someday you will want to learn PowerShell. If so go here first: Learn PowerShell  

\_(ツ)_/

Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:40 AM