Active Desktop Recovery problem RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to migrate from IE 6 to IE 7 and aware that Active Desktop Recovery will be a big problem. Is there any way to prevent Active Desktop Recovery screen from happening?
    Monday, June 20, 2011 12:18 PM

All replies

• This is hear-say, I haven't tried it myself but apparently if you set the registry key as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\SafeMode\Components
    Change the value of DeskHtmlVersion to zero instead of decimal 272.

...it will prevent this issue.  Perhaps try it on a test machine.

Monday, June 20, 2011 2:39 PM
  • It fixes the issue, but doesn't prevent it. Is there any way to turn Active Desktop Recovery off. We have about 5000 computers on the domain and don't want to change the registry every time it happens.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:36 PM
  • I believe that this is the Group Policy setting.

User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Desktop\Active Desktop

Just now moving to IE 7? I work for the federal government and even we did that one already (for the most part lol).

Honestly I've only had 3 or 4 personally with this problem, we have over 15k [users] in the enterprise.

Its not really a big problem.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:41 PM
  • We have Active Desktop Wallpaper and Enable Active Desktop enabled under User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Desktop\Active Desktop . Do we need to disable those to prevent Active Desktop Recovery error at all? I know we should have upgraded a long time ago, and the only thing that stops us now is that Active Desktop Recovery error.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:37 PM
  • If you disable it completely it shouldnt be an issue. Honestly like I said, I work in a 15k+ user enterprise and have only personally seen 3 - 4 in the last 12 months. To fix it I would normally just change to a different wallpaper and then change it back.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Do you have it enabled or disabled. We updated already 1000 computers and have 3 - 4 issues a week. Maybe our environments are different. I work in a hospital and we have a lot of public computers.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:58 PM
  • We have it disabled. Does it serve a function where you are? Is there a reason you couldnt disable it?
    • Proposed as answer by WJDavis5 Friday, July 15, 2011 2:58 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:49 PM