none
Clicking a combination view in View Bar scrolls RRS feed

• General discussion

• I set up a custom combination view and opt to show in menu (it then appears in View Bar). When I click the view bar icon for the combi view, the view switches to the combo view. If I click to another view, and then click back to the original combo view, it scrolls to the right by exactly one bottom-tier unit!! Makes it hard to set this up for the novice user who can't see anything because it's all scrolled away. Any way to correct this behavior??

Related question while I'm here: any way to get the proportion of bottom-split and top-split to hold? It always resets to 50-50. 

Thanks in advance!~

Andrew

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:09 AM

All replies

• Andrew,

First things first. What version of Project are you using? Is it updated with the latest service pack?

When you say "custom combination view", what exactly does that mean? Is it a customized version of the Resource or Task Usage view (which are the only "combination" views), or do you really mean a customized split window view? If it is the latter, what are the two windows (i.e. upper pane and lower pane)?

What are the units for the bottom tier (i.e. minutes, days, weeks, etc.)?

On you related question, what are the two view shown in the upper and lower panes?

John

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. This is Project 2007 (12.0.4518.1014). 

By custom combination view I mean a new view I created via "View>More views...>New" that is of the "Combination view" type rather than "Single view" type, as described here:http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/use-a-combination-view-HP045303969.aspx. I wasn't aware that the usage views were the only combination views.

The upper pane has a Gantt-type view and the lower pane has a Resource-Usage-type view.

I have two such views, both with two-tiered timescales. One has months in top and days in bottom, and now that I look at it it scrolls 4 bottom units at a time. The other has quarters up top and months in the bottom, and it is now moving two units at a time. It would appear that if I modify the timescale size percentage the amount it scrolls each time I click the view icon changes.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Andrew,

Okay, you have Project 2007, but is it updated to SP3

I'll fess up that I was incorrect about the Usage views being the only combination views and I was looking from a Project 2010 standpoint. I think Project is a little inconsistent in its terminology. When creating a new view via View/Other Views/More Views/New, the user can create a "single" or "combination" view. But, if the same thing is done via View/Split view group/Details the reference is for a "split" view. The Usage views are combination because they display either task and assignment or resource and assignment data "combined" in one view. Regardless, now I know exactly what you have, in the way of view.

As far as attempting to replicate the behavior you see I need more details. For example, what is the "count" setting and "size" setting? And you original post says that you switch views and then back. What view do you switch to?

John

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:49 PM