none
Issue in Finishing dates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi In MSP 2003(Connected with project server) , for some of the task the finish dates goes beyond 2038. Baseline dates are fine. Note : Actual hours are comes from timesheet (I approve the time sheet after verified)

Let me know anything else you required

Regards

Santhosh

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It looks as if some tasks have had a reason (impossible to find out which one) to schedule the remaining work in a distant future. Also they have curious Durations.

Trying to help you anyway, I shortened the durations of these wayward tasks and now they are planned normally. I also sent back such a "corrected" version of your file. How does it behave?

Greeting,

Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• I don't understand your question.  Are you having issues with tasks that
    pass 2038?  Did tasks suddenly get a longer duration?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi

Yes exactly

Regards

Santosh

Friday, May 20, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Still not sure I follow.  Could you describe the scenario in more detail?
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:12 AM
  • Hi

Do you want me to send MPP file ?? Kindly let me know ur email id

Regards

Santosh

Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:59 AM
  • Hi,

You can send it to jandemesATprom-ade.be

I'lll have a look

Greetings,

Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hi

I send MPP for above mentioned mail id

thanks

Regards

Santosh

Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

It looks as if some tasks have had a reason (impossible to find out which one) to schedule the remaining work in a distant future. Also they have curious Durations.

Trying to help you anyway, I shortened the durations of these wayward tasks and now they are planned normally. I also sent back such a "corrected" version of your file. How does it behave?

Greeting,

Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Was this caused as a result of resource leveling?  I have seen this happen before because of leveling. 
    Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Hi Ellen,

Doesn't look like. By all means, clear leveling didn't help.

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Leveling was adding contraints to the tasks which is part of the problem.  Also, it is reacting to resource driven scheduling and assigning the tasks when the resource is available.  This will not usually happen with tasks that do not have resources assigned. 

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Hi,

In this case (I have been working on the project file itself) leveling was not the cause. It simply wasn't. And subject tasks were unconstrained.

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having a similar problem.

Most, but not all, of our sixty schedules were started in MSP 2003 and converted to MSP 2007.  All schedules are developed and maintained individually by project managers. Individual schedules are correct and stable. When the project manager says the schedule is ready, I link it into a master schedule using "Insert" and "Project". When I open a project in the master schedule, some task finish dates have been extended into the future from as few as three years to as far as 2049. Collapsing the schedule and re-expanding it clears the anomaly. The anomaly only appears in the master schedule and only when the schedule is first opened. It can happen in multiple tasks within a schedule and within multiple schedules in the master schedules. When cleared, the anomalies stay gone, but will appear again, probably in a different location, the next time the master schedule is opened.

Regards,

Bob

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:06 PM