none
Effort driven not changing duration RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting the duration (for example to 10 days). I then assign resources to the task set 'units' to 100%. I expect when I assign two resources full time to the task the duration to be shown as 5 days but it remains as 10 days. I have played around but I can not get effort driven to work as expected. Any help would be appreciated.

The task is Fixed Units, Effort Driven On and auto-schedule.

• Edited by mestrec Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:38 PM

Answers

• When reality doesn't match your expectations, you have to adjust your expectations since you cannot adjust reality.

The effect of one of the 5 possible combinations of task type and effort driven settings doesn't kick in at the original assignment. If you assign both resources to the 10 day task nothing happens to the duration, which is what I expect.

However, if you assign one resource first to the 10 day task, and then select fixed units and effort driven on, and then assign the second resource, the duration will halve. This was the default combination in all versions up to MSP2010 but people didn't like it, so since MSP2010 the default has been fixed units with effort driven off, and the effect of this is that the work will double and the duration remain unchanged. Anyway, the default is immaterial/irrelevant because you choose the settings combination to get what you want out of 5 possibilities.

Any help?

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:12 AM

All replies

• When reality doesn't match your expectations, you have to adjust your expectations since you cannot adjust reality.

The effect of one of the 5 possible combinations of task type and effort driven settings doesn't kick in at the original assignment. If you assign both resources to the 10 day task nothing happens to the duration, which is what I expect.

However, if you assign one resource first to the 10 day task, and then select fixed units and effort driven on, and then assign the second resource, the duration will halve. This was the default combination in all versions up to MSP2010 but people didn't like it, so since MSP2010 the default has been fixed units with effort driven off, and the effect of this is that the work will double and the duration remain unchanged. Anyway, the default is immaterial/irrelevant because you choose the settings combination to get what you want out of 5 possibilities.

Any help?

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:12 AM
  • Wow, that was very philosophical but I got your point and understood how it works! Working like a charm now!

Tks!

Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:54 AM
  • I am glad that you got it working. Please propose my answer as the answer. I need the points.
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:21 AM