none
Scheduling after hours tasks in MS Project & keep duration time RRS feed

• Question

• Help – I'm looking for some assistance in scheduling after hours tasks in MS Project. I know there are plenty of questions related into how to schedule overtime (after hours) tasks. That's the easy part. My question is more specifically related when my task is in total done outside of normal working hours (6PM - 11PM)

When scheduling overtime for a resource after normal working hours it will show as having no duration they become a milestone. I need my resource to calculate correctly overtime tasks but still show as having duration. Please note that my tasks are completely after hours. Not starting in hours extending into after hours.  

My workaround is having 2 resources. Peter Project & Peter Project A/H (after hours). I then set Peter Project A/H is having working hours outside of normal working hours and at overtime rates rates.

The result is I get overtime rates and durations correctly. But it’s clunky and MS Project must be smarter than that …Is this the only way? What’s the better way?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do not use overtime rate, instead use an other Cost rate table (Resource Information, Costs Tab); in any Usage view you can insert the column "Cost Rate Table" allowing you to identify the assignments where a cost different from the Standard is necessary.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by A.W Johnston Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:43 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Create a Calendar fo the off hours during which work on the task may be done, and assign that as a Task Calndar to the task. When assigning it (Task Information, Advanced) check "Ignore resoruce calendars)

Greetings,

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Hi Jan 

Not that easy.

When doing it this way you can use a single resource and schedule out-of-hours work but it wont recognise that the work needs to be calculated at overtime rates unless you set it to Overtime work in Resource usage.

Still as soon as you set any task as overtime work it removes the duration of that task (example 2 hours to complete a task starting at 9PM - 11PM) It now shows no duration and becomes a milestone but costs are correct.

In a nutshell I want after-hours tasks to have both the correct cost and show as a task that has a duration. 

The only way I can see that I can do this is by having two resources at two different rates.

Cheers

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

Do not use overtime rate, instead use an other Cost rate table (Resource Information, Costs Tab); in any Usage view you can insert the column "Cost Rate Table" allowing you to identify the assignments where a cost different from the Standard is necessary.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by A.W Johnston Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:43 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:39 PM