WSUS 3.0 Database RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS 3.0 has created nothing but fustration for me the last couple of months. I am gettings errors everywhere. My problem is that I have a lot of updates that are critical and are out dated. Some of my PCs already have other updates installed that supercedes those old updates, so doing manual updates doesn't satisfy WSUS 3.0 completely. Those old updates are still there popping up errors. Now I have ran the Server Cleanup Wizard and it actually "said" that it got rid of a lot of those updates. Well it didn't. What I want to know is there a way to manually get rid of outdated updates from WSUS 3.0. Like just go into the database and delete those old update. Any help would highly be appreciated.

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:10 AM

All replies

•  

the cleanup wizard should do an OK job at this but if you want to run the process manualy open the WSUS console and open the All updates menu.  move your mouse to the menu bar and right click and choose supersedance and sort on the field.  any patch that show superceeded (highlight at the botom of the tree) you can get rid of.  highlight the icon for the definition of the picture to be sure.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 5:38 AM
  • one other note.  if the cleanup wizard does not work you may have DB issues.  did you upgrade from WSUS2? 

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:40 AM
  • Yes I did upgrade WSUS 2.0. If I am having database problems, how could troubleshoot that?
    Friday, February 8, 2008 4:02 PM
  • I have a very straight answer, DON'T!

WSUS is not worth troubleshooting, there is nothing in it "worth saving" since you can uninstall and reinstall everything in a matter of a few mintues, which is what I recommend on doing in every case of complex issue with WSUS.

don't waste your time on this... sometimes you just got to know what its not worthwhile trying to debug a problem... 

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:58 PM