Mysterious tmp folder creation in my root directory RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Office 2010 and Windows 7.  I've noticed that when I start Word 2010 (or maybe other office 2010 applications-I don't know) I get a large collection of .tmp folders under my root directory (C:/).  These folders have all kinds of names (always ending in the .tmp extension); like:

MSI1e6a0.tmp
    MSI1e6a3.tmp

etc...

There must be 20 or 25 of these folders...they don't have anything in them.  When I delete them and start Word 2010, a setup dialog box appears and then word starts.  When I go back into windows explorer, the tmp folders are back.

What is this?  How can I stop word (or office) from doing this.  I don't see any support questions that ask about this...am I the only one?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Word creates temporary files to store information it needs to access quickly and to prevent system errors in its file saving scheme. If you open too many files, Microsoft Windows does not have sufficient file handles to allocate to each open file. Word does not delete the temporary files until the document is fully saved (a full save is a non-Fast Save save), or you close the current session of Word.

For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How Word for Windows Uses Temporary Files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/89247/EN-US/

However, if you do not want to save the files, you can also uncheck this option:

Click File > Options > Save. Uncheck: Save AutoRecover information every.

Note: We do not recommend uncheck this. We can set the location to other places from the options above.

If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Unchecking Save Auto Recovery information does not stop Word creating temporary files - only the file recovery file, and as you acknowledge that might not be a good idea.

Is 'Fast Save' still supported in Word 2010? It was horrendously buggy and I thought it was discontinued with 2007?

--
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>
    Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.code plex.com/
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>

Hi,

Word creates temporary files to store information it needs to access quickly and to prevent system errors in its file saving scheme. If you open too many files, Microsoft Windows does not have sufficient file handles to allocate to each open file. Word does not delete the temporary files until the document is fully saved (a full save is a non-Fast Save save), or you close the current session of Word.

For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How Word for Windows Uses Temporary Files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/89247/EN-US/

However, if you do not want to save the files, you can also uncheck this option:

Click File > Options > Save. Uncheck: Save AutoRecover information every.

Note: We do not recommend uncheck this. We can set the location to other places from the options above.

If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Graham Mayor - Word MVP - www.gmayor.com
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:51 AM