none
Use of Department field in project online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In project server, we have the provision to use the field Department to have some control on the data visibility to a user, right?
    Is this feature available for project online in Sharepoint permission mode? Can I get some article on this?

Is there any article/document which gives details of impact/areas affected when permission mode is converted from sharepoint permission mode to project server permission for project online?

Please help.

Thanks, Rose

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:00 PM

Answers

• Are you certain that assigning the resource to a department caused the other department's information to disappear? To be certain, look at the resource record and make sure that the resource is associated with a logon account. If there were a disconnect between the logon and the resource record, the user wouldn't be able to see any thing tagged to any department. I can't think of any other condition that comes close to producing the symptoms you are describing.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Rose,

As far as I know, we can use the Department fields in SharePoint permission mode as we can assign the departments from the resource center.

Thanks,

Phani

Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Rose,

The Departments field is NOT a security feature. It is purely a "Visbility" feature. So regardless of SharePoint Permission mode or Project Server Permission mode, you can use the Departments field, and one does not have an impact on the other.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:Podcast: Twitter:LinkedIn:

If it gives you any comfort, here is a screenshot from my project online tenant, with SharePoint Permisssion mode.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Thanks much for your response.

I have tried using Department field in the project online with sharepoint permission mode.

1)I have assigned one department to one user and he was not able to see the EPTs associated to another department. that is workign fine.

2) But the the resource was not getting the EPT assigned with same departement as his, he was jsut getting only the EPTs which are not mapped to any department. I would like to know if anyone has enocuntered the same and help me with the issue.

Thanks,

Lovely

Thanks, Rose

Monday, February 2, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Are you certain that assigning the resource to a department caused the other department's information to disappear? To be certain, look at the resource record and make sure that the resource is associated with a logon account. If there were a disconnect between the logon and the resource record, the user wouldn't be able to see any thing tagged to any department. I can't think of any other condition that comes close to producing the symptoms you are describing.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:09 PM
  • The disappearance of other EPTs is as designed. This filtering is based on the Resource's assigned department. However, they should see any EPTs assigned to their same department and any global EPTs not mapped to a department. You can read more here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2010/03/17/departmental-custom-fields.aspx

I would try editing the resource and saving them and doing the same for the EPT. The only other question I have (and I hope the answer is no) is did someone change your department fields to allow multiple values to be selected?

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | http://www.tumbleroad.com | @TumbleRoad

Saturday, February 7, 2015 8:11 AM