MPs for Storage Monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Any one can provide details on which all storages can be monitored using SCOM 2012? I mean storages like EMC, HP, Dell..etc.

And names of Management Packs for them also.

Sunday, April 3, 2016 11:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your posting!

For HP Storage, please check below Link which include the management pack given by HP Vendor.

https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=System_Center

For Dell EqualLogic Storage Management Pack Suite for SCOM

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=J15YX

For Dell EqualLogic Storage Management Pack Suite for SCOM, v.6.0

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0328N

In addition, I would like to suggest you to contact the hardware vendor to check if there is any proper MP to monitor your device.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by CyrAz Monday, April 4, 2016 10:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:03 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

agree with Yan Li that you'll have to contact the hardware vendor to get the right Management Pack for your storage type. Here a couple of resources in regards to monitoring EMC (ESI MP):

Monitoring EMC storage using SCOM 2012 SP1 with ESI Management Packs

and

Monitoring EMC Storage with SCOM using EMC ESI SCOM Management Pack

I have written a post, sharing my personal experience with the HP Storage MP for System Center. It might be interesting for you:

Monitoring HP Storage environments with System Center Operations Manager 2012 R2

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Monday, April 4, 2016 7:00 AM
    • Proposed as answer by CyrAz Monday, April 4, 2016 10:13 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Regarding HP storage MP, do you have any "official" information about it's licensing? I find it quite unclear and I can't find any definitive answer, even though my understanding is that OneView and it's SCOM integration kit need to be licensed but that the SCOM MP itself doesn't need to.

Even my contacts at HPE have not been able to provide me with a definitive answer...
    • Edited by CyrAz Monday, April 4, 2016 7:30 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

you are correct. The Storage MP is part of the OV Integration Kit, which on its turn is licensed by the OneView license itself. This is also stated by HP here:

HP OneView Partner Integrations

"The following partner integrations are available as part of each HP OneView license:
    - HP OneView for VMware vCenter, Operations Manager and Log Insight
    - HP OneView for Microsoft System Center
    - HP OneView for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization"

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, April 4, 2016 7:43 AM
  • You say that I'm correct, then you say the opposite of what I'm saying (I said that as far as I understand the Scom MP is free of license, you say that it requires a license because it's part of OneView).

Then you copy an extract that doesn't say anything about the MP.

So I'm still lost :D

Also, it says here that you don't need a license for the MP itself : http://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-OneView/HP-SCOM-Integration-Kit-licensing/td-p/6723770

Monday, April 4, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Hey, you are absolutely right...reading your question again shows me that my reply wasn't wrong, but wasn't meaningful also :)

What I wanted to say is that you need a license for your OneView appliance and you get to use the Integration Kit to manage your blade enclosures for example. Status "Managed" of your enclosures indicates you have HP OneView Advanced licenses, status "Monitored" indicates you have Standard licenses. This is not relevant in our case though, as we are discussing the Storage MP itself :)

I think that this is more relevant to our discussion:

"Storage management with HP OneView for Microsoft System Center can be used at no charge. Licensing is enabled as part of the download and installation sequence."

coming from:

HP OneView for Microsoft System Center (HP Storage integrations)

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by CyrAz Monday, April 4, 2016 9:41 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 8:41 AM
  • Thanks!

It's still not perfectly clear, but it's official so that at least something :)

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, April 4, 2016 9:49 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Thank you very much guys... I got something from your replys...  Let me check with each of the hardware vendors and get back to this.

Monday, April 4, 2016 4:15 PM
  • This really helped..Thanks a lot Stoyan ..

Could you please give me more details on Dell storage?

Monday, April 4, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Hey there,

Yan Li posted the MPs you could use. Here are they once again:

Dell EqualLogic Storage Management Pack Suite for SCOM, v.6.0

Dell Modular Disk (MD) Storage Array Management Pack Suite for SCOM, v.6.0

Dell Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager, v.6.0

Cheers,

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:37 AM