SCSM and Orchestrator - Mapping Runbook Automation Activity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Orchestrator 2012 connected into SCSM 2012 and also have a few Request Offerings configured and working.  I'm trying to setup a new Request Offering where the Runbook Initialise Data task has 12 String Data Types, and 3 Integer data types that all require user input when the related Request Offering is up and running in the portal.  I've configured the Runbook, Runbook Template, and Service Request template.  When configuring the Runbook template I ran out of Property Mappings of type 'Text' so used two of the 'LongText' property mappings instead.

When I come to configure the Request Offering to 'Map Prompts' the two entries for 'LongText' are missing from the list. Have I got something wrong, or is this by design.  I know the initialize data types only allow String or Integer.

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

Tim

Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:53 PM

Answers

• If you need additional properties in the Service Request or Runbook activity to map properties you can extend the class Service Request or Runbook activity with the SCSM Authoring Tool with additional properties. These can be "generic" properties like "Text1, Text2, Datetime1, Datetime2, ..." or specific properties like "SoftwareToInstall, "UsernameToAddToGroup, GroupName, ..." as you prefer.

Hope this helps. 

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• Instead of mapping all the properties in the runbook activity template you can just map the ID of the runbook activity.

With the runbook activity id you can get all the information about the runbook activity and the related service request in the runbook himself.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that and getting all the user input I need.  I extended SCSM a while ago creating a new class.  What this Service Request Offering will do is create a new record for that class.  To do that there needs to be a lot of user input.  The only way I can see to get the user input is to use Data types in the Initialize Data task in the Runbook.  Am I right and I just need to work within the limitations of the Property Mappings, or am I missing something and going about it the wrong way?

For more detail... I created a 'Customer' class that allows us to track information about our customers in relation to Incident, Change, and Service Requests.  The information I need to gather when creating a new record would be; Organisation Name, Account Manager, Contract start, Contract End, RAS details, etc.

As they are new customer account records and all the information for each field is a variable I can't pull the data from elsewhere when creating the record hence the need for a lot of user input when creating the Service Request ticket via the SMPortal.

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Was there ever an answer to this? I'm in a similar position with too many inputs for the automation activity. 
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Short answer = No.  Though a workaround is to configure the Request Offering to capture all the data you need, and use a powershell action in the Runbook to extract the info recorded in the Service Request for use in the run bus.

Clunky and a lot of effort but a solution.  I haven't tried it yet as I manage to get round my original issue using Query Object instead.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:30 PM
  • Alternatively it's possible to extend the Runbook Automation Activity class to add in the required properties.  I'll do some testing around this to see if it works.
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:46 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I am in the same situation. I run out of property mappings within the Runbook Automation Activity.

Was it possible for you to extend the Runbook Automation activity to be able to map more parameters?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Regards,

Stoyan

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:22 PM
  • If you need additional properties in the Service Request or Runbook activity to map properties you can extend the class Service Request or Runbook activity with the SCSM Authoring Tool with additional properties. These can be "generic" properties like "Text1, Text2, Datetime1, Datetime2, ..." or specific properties like "SoftwareToInstall, "UsernameToAddToGroup, GroupName, ..." as you prefer.

Hope this helps. 

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:42 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the quick answer. I will install the SCSM Authoring Tool and see if I can acomplish this (Extending the Parameter mappings within the Runbook Automation Activity).

Unfortunatelly there was not an Option below your post to mark it as an answer, but for me it is one :)

Regards,

Stoyan

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:47 PM