Exchange mailbox recovery from DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use DPM 2012 for exchange 2010 mailbox backup and restore operations. My requirement is to make DPM call VSS hardware provider for taking the snapshots/recovery points. But it some how never uses the hardware provider and always prefer to use system provided VSS provider. Any thoughts on why doesn't it chose Hardware Provider as it does in hyper-v backup? or Any tweaks which I can do to make DPM use hardware VSS provider?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

Sunil

Friday, April 3, 2015 12:25 AM

Answers

• Its not supported to take or restore snapshots of an Exchange Server guest. You need to do any Exchange backups and restore at the Exchange application level ( i.e. the Exchange VSS provider)

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, April 3, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

As Andy mentioned, DPM captures “express full” backups using the Exchange Server VSS writer and the DPM agent to identify which blocks have changed in the database, and send just the updated blocks or fragments. Also, transaction logs are continuously synchronized to the DPM server, as often as every 15 minutes, between express full backups.
    We can confirm it by Application Event log of the protected Exchange server, for example VSS writer event 2021,2027,961 and so on.

Additional, please refer to below link so that you can get more details about Understanding Backup, Restore and Disaster Recovery:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876874(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:26 AM

All replies

• Its not supported to take or restore snapshots of an Exchange Server guest. You need to do any Exchange backups and restore at the Exchange application level ( i.e. the Exchange VSS provider)

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, April 3, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

As Andy mentioned, DPM captures “express full” backups using the Exchange Server VSS writer and the DPM agent to identify which blocks have changed in the database, and send just the updated blocks or fragments. Also, transaction logs are continuously synchronized to the DPM server, as often as every 15 minutes, between express full backups.
    We can confirm it by Application Event log of the protected Exchange server, for example VSS writer event 2021,2027,961 and so on.

Additional, please refer to below link so that you can get more details about Understanding Backup, Restore and Disaster Recovery:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876874(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:26 AM