Service Mapping Features or Third Party Application? RRS feed

• Question

• The company I am working with is looking at a tool from Service Now that can map out an entire service/application by tracking transactions, etc. They want to know if there is a third party tool that can do the same for SCOM?  Here is the tool from Service Now:

http://www.servicenow.com/products/service-mapping.html

I know I can do the same if we manually build out a Distributed Application.  The biggest reason for the Service Now product is to be able to map out an application that has been in house for years and like any large company those who developed this application have long left the company.

If I remember right Blue Strip use to have some features like this however that is no longer available as Microsoft has taken it and will integrate some of those features in 2016.

Kristopher Turner | Not the brightest bulb but by far not the dimmest bulb.

Monday, January 4, 2016 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hello,

As far as I am concerned, there is no such tool can be used to map application to SCOM as distributed application.

Even between management groups, it is not easy to export or import DAs from one to another, there are two ways to go about it: to export it as a Definition or as a Template. The latter is used when the DA is going to be used multiple times. Then a Template comes in handy. However, when the DA is going to be used only one time, it is better to export it as a Definition.

You may refer to the link below for more details about this:

http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2009/08/distributed-applications-das-and-how-to.html

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Yan Li_ Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:54 AM edit
    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Sunday, January 24, 2016 5:13 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:53 AM