SCOM integration with Service Now RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Can someone please guide me through the process of integrating SCOM 2012 with SNOW? Would really appreciate any links or guides or blogs illustrating the process in detail!

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

here is the architecture of the integration (again from the Service Now Wiki):

Microsoft System Center Operations Manager SCOM Integration

Please check this one also:

SCOM 2012 integration without Orchestrator

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, November 21, 2016 10:18 AM
  • Hi Sam,

you are right, the screenshots are from 2007 R2 console. I haven't tried it myself, but reading the comments from the article it seems that it won't work for 2012 as it has to be adjusted to use the 2012 SDK.

I am not aware of any free solutions, so you are left with:

- trying the XML connector Jakob Gottlieb Svendsen built:

A New XML Connector for SCOM 2012

- Use Orchestrator. something like:

SCOM 2012 – Consuming ServiceNow Web Services with Microsoft Orchestrator

There was a free connector by Evanious, but as it seems it is paid now. Still is worth asking them about a price:

SCOM Integration ServiceNow (Bi-directional)

As it seems there is no "ready to use" solution for 2012. I would try to adapt the one for the 2007 R2 to 2012. Judging by the comments this has already been done:

"This is only partially true.  SCOM 2012 actually fully supports the Connector Framework with no plan to deprecate, Microsoft just PUSHES you to use Orchestrator.  I have update the above connector to work directly with the SCOM 2012 SDK in the past, and have open sourced the connector at one point. 

Unfortunately the above connector, built with the 2007 SDK, has some issues when connecting to SCOM 2012... And can ultimately, bring down the data service on SCOM 2012."

Sorry for not being able to help. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:19 PM

All replies

• Monday, November 21, 2016 10:00 AM
  • Hi Sam,

here is the architecture of the integration (again from the Service Now Wiki):

Microsoft System Center Operations Manager SCOM Integration

Please check this one also:

SCOM 2012 integration without Orchestrator

Regards,

Monday, November 21, 2016 10:18 AM
  • Hey Hth, thanks for the link, its really helpful.

Can you please provide further steps to actually integrate this with SCOM? Please pardon my naive question, I'm doing this for the first time.

Thank you!

Monday, November 21, 2016 11:11 AM
  • Hey Stoyan, good to see you :)

Thanks for the links, however I noticed that the second link shows screenshots from 2007 version, does it still work in 2012? (I read in a couple of other blogs that it gives some problems)

And can I install this MID server in the same server as SCOM MS?

Thanks a lot :)

Monday, November 21, 2016 11:14 AM
  • I see that after the Fuji release of SN. The SCOM Connector has Limited support. Without being a Service Now Customer, i do not know what impact that will have.

What is Your main goals With service now and SCOM? I believe you can create a pretty good solution using their API and SCOM SDK/Powershell module or even a command channel

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Hi Sam,

you are right, the screenshots are from 2007 R2 console. I haven't tried it myself, but reading the comments from the article it seems that it won't work for 2012 as it has to be adjusted to use the 2012 SDK.

I am not aware of any free solutions, so you are left with:

- trying the XML connector Jakob Gottlieb Svendsen built:

A New XML Connector for SCOM 2012

- Use Orchestrator. something like:

SCOM 2012 – Consuming ServiceNow Web Services with Microsoft Orchestrator

There was a free connector by Evanious, but as it seems it is paid now. Still is worth asking them about a price:

SCOM Integration ServiceNow (Bi-directional)

As it seems there is no "ready to use" solution for 2012. I would try to adapt the one for the 2007 R2 to 2012. Judging by the comments this has already been done:

"This is only partially true.  SCOM 2012 actually fully supports the Connector Framework with no plan to deprecate, Microsoft just PUSHES you to use Orchestrator.  I have update the above connector to work directly with the SCOM 2012 SDK in the past, and have open sourced the connector at one point. 

Unfortunately the above connector, built with the 2007 SDK, has some issues when connecting to SCOM 2012... And can ultimately, bring down the data service on SCOM 2012."

Sorry for not being able to help. Regards,

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Hey ehrnst, with this integration we are mainly looking for automated creation of tickets to assign to respective teams for related SCOM alerts.

"I believe you can create a pretty good solution using their API and SCOM SDK/Powershell module or even a command channel"

Can you please explain this option a little?

Thanks!

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:35 PM
  • You can check OpsLogix, Kelverion, Savision or native ServiceNow ITOM connectors for that. Depending how much company can spend and how monitoring standards are build.

But in case of any custom standards in Your SCOM instance it would be probably better to create own connector, like we did: https://effectiveit.wordpress.com/2019/09/19/scom-servicenow-connetor-alert-incident-synchronization-with-usage-of-cmdb/
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:39 AM