Journal Mailboxes: How large can they scale in Exchange 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• With Exchange 2010's ability to handle much larger mailboxes than previous versions I was wondering whether there was any longer a need to have an archiving service (either a 3rd Party product or Exchange 2010 itself) managing the Journal mailbox sizes, or whether they can now be allowed to grow large enough to cope with, say 6 months worth of email?

The project I'm currently working on has a requirement to retain Journal data for 6 months after which it can be deleted via retention policy. If there's no need to deploy an archiving solution into the mix it will help simplify our design and keep down costs.

If it is the case that Exchange 2010 mailboxes can scale to these very large sizes the next question would be around the response times I could expect when using the compliance search tool against these large journal mailboxes. Will the tool perform more slowly against large Journal mailboxes or is size not an issue in this instance?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hello Ed Wenn,

Actually Journal mailbox is also located in your same mailbox database so by default its size is also by default same as a normal user mailbox size and its apply from your Mailbox Database Size.

So if you are creating a Journal Mailbox then you will have to create one normal mailbox in same database and then you can enable the Journal for Single mailbox or Complete Database Journal. And you set the Size of Mailbox as you required and afterward you create a Archive Mailbox for Journal Mailbox so it will Archive the mailbox after set of period....

And in Exchange Server Design for Mailbox..

Scenario 1:- Deploy a Single Mailbox for Journal mailbox
    Scenario2:-  Deploy the Primary Mailbox to support 1-2 Years worth of data.
                       Deploy the Archive Mailbox to allow end users to retain long term needed data.

And its size basically large mailbox support 10 GB+ enables and deploy office 2007 SP2..

And regarding the Compliance search tools scale actyually its usage Advanced Query Synatx to Search so it search more quickly...

AQS allows a user to easily construct powerful search queries to search content indexes.

I hope this information is sufficient for you.

In case any thing else please revert back....

Cheers,

Subhash Tiwari |MCA|MCSE|MCSA|MCDBA|MCTS | Blog-> http://subhashtiwari.spaces.live.com
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Thanks Subhash, I have a couple of supplementary questions:

1. Because these are Journal mailboxes we are not anticipating there will be any need for standard client access (e.g. Outlook or OWA). Assuming this is the case, why would I need to create an archive mailbox at all? Couldn't all of the Journal data simply remain in the primary mailbox?
    2. Are you saying that the Journal mailbox can only exist in the same database as the mailboxes it is Journaling? This is not the case with Exchange 2007 and I can't see why it would be with 2010.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:52 PM
  • I think the answer was assuming you meant Archive mailbox not a Journal mailbox.

Journaling works similar to Exchange 2007 with journaling rules used assign which mailbox the journaled data is stored.

Your original question was about sizing of a journaling mailbox, a lot of work has been done to vastly improve large mailbox support. I've seen an online demo of performance against a large mailbox (can't remember the exact size) and it was faster than a much smaller Exchange 2007 mailbox.

What size do you think you need for 6 months of data?
    Joel Stidley | Microsoft Exchange MVP | MCITP/MCTS | http://exchangeexchange.com
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:40 AM
  • Hello Ed Wenn,

For the sizing of Exchange Mailbox or Journal mailbox please go through the below link where i have posted one snapshot which i have taken from webacst..

http://www.scribd.com/share/upload/13218681/1299fuhvuaulacfpsgd

Actually for the journal mailbox you can do one thing you can create one more database and on that create one user and define the sizing of that mailbox as per recommended by Microsoft.

For accessing of mailbox from OWA or Outlook actually this i have mention it here because if you need to access that mailbox then you can access it from OWA or Outlook.

Why you need to create archive mailbox because if you wants to keep more data on that mailbox after mailbox size full then you can archive that data by creating the Archive mailbox which you can access from same Journal mailbox.

See there is no any facility in Microsoft that we can create a Database which is called Archive or journal database the only facility that we can create the mailbox to different database and create a Journal Mailbox on that.

If you have any other clirification please feel free to write here.

Cheers,

Subhash Tiwari |MCA|MCSE|MCSA|MCDBA|MCTS | Blog-> http://subhashtiwari.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Hi Joel, we're looking at something like 500GB to 2TB per Journal mailbox. Busy corporate environment with 6 months of data which needs to be retained.

This also raises the question of which extra factors we need to consider when backing-up a database of this size - and no, I don't buy the "No need to backup" line that we're getting in the 2010 PR :-)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:35 AM
  • I don't think in Exchange 2010 will support 500 GB or 2 TB data on one mailbox.

It will support only in Exchange 2010 Enterprise and again you will have to create one Primary mailbox for Journal and Archive Mailbox for Journal mailbox and you will have to create multiple Archive Mailbox for Archiving the Journal Mailbox.

Because in one mailbox you can't store 500 GB or 2 TB data, you will have to archive this. 

Cheers,

Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:37 AM
  • What is a realistic size limit for journaling mailboxes on a Exchange 2010 running on a SAN?  I don't need an exact number just an estimate.  Can we get 100GB, 300GB?  

Jason

Jason Meyer

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:40 PM
  • The maximum size of a mailbox in Exchange 2010 is 2 TB (please, read the help on the Mailbox Database Properties, Limits tab).

The realistic size depends on the hardware you have to support it. I would go with something that could hold at least 6 or 12 months depending on the workflow you have and create a new user each time or export and archive the contents.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:56 PM