none
Upgrade DPM 2007 SP1 to DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Are any of the new "auto" features enabled when upgrading from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010?  For example will jobs be auto reun if they fail one or must that be configured?  If "auto" is there of the behaviour changes? 

Is there a lsitr of actions that can be performed to move back to DPM 2007 functionality?

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes -  Auto retry will work.

Auto-grow will not be enabled by default - but you should be able to enable it for each data source by right-clicking a data source and choosing modify disk allocation... link - then check the box.   

Before the upgrade - be sure you are on latest DPM QFE: KB 979970.

Should the upgrade fail, you can use these steps to go back to DPM 2007.

1) Run SQL Server 2005 MGMT Studio - connect to MS$DPM2007$ instance
          a. Highlight DPMDB - right-click - all tasks - back up - and save the backup to c:\dpm2007\msdpm.bak
          b. Highlight DPMDB - right-click - all tasks, take offline, then detach
          c. Highlight ReportServer -  right-click - all tasks, take offline, then detach
    2) Uninstall DPM 2010 using add/remove programs, or re-running setup.
          a. Chose to retain replica data.
    3)  Rename the .mdf and .ldf files under C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DPMDB
    4)  Re-install DPM 2007 using same settings as original install.
    5)  Re-install Sp1 + patch level (KB 979970) as original DPM 2007 install.
    6)  Run DPMSYNC -restoredb -dbloc C:\DPM2007\msdpm.bak
    7)  Run DPMSYNC -Sync

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Hey,

From a workload perspective:

No, the SQL database instances will not be backed up automatically, but you can change the PG's afterwards (as Mike Jacquet) mentioned and select instance protection so that each new DB in that instance will be protected automatically.

For Exchange and SQL, nothing much has changed except that you can now protect newer versions etc...

For the agents:

All the agents will need to be upgraded before they will continue their backup, so plan carefully.  I've done a few upgrades now for different customers (also in size quite different) and I didn't had too many problems for now.  From time to time, I had to do upgrade some manually, but it was always the least amount.  Each time I prepared an upgrade, I made sure that PSExec was my friend (thanks to a collegue of mine) to work quicker.  More details can be found here: http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm/archive/2010/08/13/remote-install-of-dpm-2010-agents.aspx

Just my 2 cents

Cheers,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes -  Auto retry will work.

Auto-grow will not be enabled by default - but you should be able to enable it for each data source by right-clicking a data source and choosing modify disk allocation... link - then check the box.   

Before the upgrade - be sure you are on latest DPM QFE: KB 979970.

Should the upgrade fail, you can use these steps to go back to DPM 2007.

1) Run SQL Server 2005 MGMT Studio - connect to MS$DPM2007$ instance
          a. Highlight DPMDB - right-click - all tasks - back up - and save the backup to c:\dpm2007\msdpm.bak
          b. Highlight DPMDB - right-click - all tasks, take offline, then detach
          c. Highlight ReportServer -  right-click - all tasks, take offline, then detach
    2) Uninstall DPM 2010 using add/remove programs, or re-running setup.
          a. Chose to retain replica data.
    3)  Rename the .mdf and .ldf files under C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DPMDB
    4)  Re-install DPM 2007 using same settings as original install.
    5)  Re-install Sp1 + patch level (KB 979970) as original DPM 2007 install.
    6)  Run DPMSYNC -restoredb -dbloc C:\DPM2007\msdpm.bak
    7)  Run DPMSYNC -Sync

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

What about from a workload perspective will SQL database instances be backed up automatically?

From a workload perspective (As these are important highly available servers - Exchange and SQL) are there any features that change that would cause different behaviour?

We have a lot of agents per server,  What if we update DPM and don't get all agents updated will the existing DPM agents back up to the DPM 2010 server still or only after they have been updated?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Hey,

From a workload perspective:

No, the SQL database instances will not be backed up automatically, but you can change the PG's afterwards (as Mike Jacquet) mentioned and select instance protection so that each new DB in that instance will be protected automatically.

For Exchange and SQL, nothing much has changed except that you can now protect newer versions etc...

For the agents:

All the agents will need to be upgraded before they will continue their backup, so plan carefully.  I've done a few upgrades now for different customers (also in size quite different) and I didn't had too many problems for now.  From time to time, I had to do upgrade some manually, but it was always the least amount.  Each time I prepared an upgrade, I made sure that PSExec was my friend (thanks to a collegue of mine) to work quicker.  More details can be found here: http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm/archive/2010/08/13/remote-install-of-dpm-2010-agents.aspx

Just my 2 cents

Cheers,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:00 AM